Which is a better deal

Marv_Levy

Marv_Levy

some may remember me from last year i made a post about starting out fly fishing. Well i hit a snag and never got going im good to go now so im plunging into the world.

Cabelas Prestige Fly Rod
Item number: OG - 315858
MODEL: 764
Reg:$99.99 Sale:$39.88

Cabelas CSR Fly Reel
Item number: OG - 317989
MODEL: 1
Reg:$79.99 Sale:$49.88

Cabelas Presige Plus Floating Fly Line
Item number: 8IS - 312766
SIZE: 4
STYLE--TYPE: WF
Reg: $39.99

Seaguar Grand Max Flourocarbon FX Tippet
Item number: IJ-319775
SIZE: 5X
Reg: $14.99

Cabelas 24-Piece Eastern Fly Assortment
Item number: IJ-317390
DESCRIPTION: ASSORT. W/ BOX
Reg: $29.99

Merchandise Total: $174.73

or

Cabelas Genesis Fly-Fishing Outfit
model# 764 7'6" 4wt 2piece
# Two retractors
# Scientific angler fly floatant
# Leader straightener
# Split shot assortment
# Two tapered leaders
# Forceps
# Floatant holder
# Nippers
# Strike indicators
# Rod/reel case

Merchandise Total: $149.99

I already own nippers forceps retractors and a fishing vest. so they would just be extras

im just starting out i will be strickly trout fishing the local streams. None of which are very large. Theres tons of brush and other stuff around the banks. Which is why im going with a 7'6" rod

im just wondering if the upper listings of seperate gear is worth the extra $25 or if i should just go with the genesis combo

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Prestige...aluminum reel seat w/wooden spacer
Genesis...plastic reel seat

For the money, THIS would be hard to beat and non of the components are being discontinued...I believe both the rod and reel in your prestige set up are no longer being made...but the genesis looks pretty junky...look at the three forks combos as well...

my opinion, go to cabelas and get the guys to take you out to cast them then go to orvis then LL bean.
for $135 you can get an orvis streamlite
or LL beam Quest II for $120
its a good sale, but I my opinion the cabelas rods won't grow as your abilities do.

I would recommend you get the flies, which by the way I don't think you took into cosideration with your comparison.

Good luck with your purchase.

I'll second Tom's suggestion. I have not heard much good about the CSR reel and I have heard good about the Prestige Plus reel. I have a Cabelas Traditional (original model) in a short rod that I like very much. I think you will like the Traditional II in a 7.5 foot rod.

Marv these are entry level equipment that will get someone launched into this over priced disease known as Fly Fishing. There are reasons why they call them entry level and although they serve the purpose they will plateau your abilitys after you have mastered the basics. These packages are designed to get the poor victim err i mean student hooked err i mean introduced to the basics of what will become a addiction that has ruined lives for hundrerds of years. Run away!!!!!!!! :lol: B.A.

I like the 3 Forks rods from Cabela's. I have one as an inexpensive backup rod. I would also try Orvis or LL Bean or a "real fly shop" if you know of one where you can get some good advice from a professional, not a salesman. He will want you as a lifelong customer.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck.

ba

i was wondering if you think people such as marinaro, humphries, wulff etc plateau with the inferior equipment, compared to today's beginner's equipment, they had to use? i feel equipment may help you cast better sooner, but it does not make you a better fisherman. my $100 dollar rod, heck my $30 rod, can out fish you $700 rod.

Not in certain situations it can't. I can do things with my "pricey" rods that I cannot with the inexpensive ones. Can you fish well with a cheap rod if you are a good fisherman? Absolutely. Could you fish better with a better more reponsive rod? Absolutely again.

Perhaps one of the "legends" could outfish me with a broomstick, but yes he would plateau. His plateau would be a bit higher than most, but IMO yes, he would plateu.

No, the rod does not make you a better fisherman, but your eventual ceiling automatically goes up.

You can get really good deals on fly gear on EBAY. I am not an EBAY dude but have friends that are and they have been satisfied customers.

The two packages you are looking are perfectly fine for the money. Obviously, if you contine in this hobby you'll expand your inventory of rods and other gear. If something doesn't work correctly Cabela's will replace it without any hassle. This equipment is also good for introducing others to the sport once you upgrade.

One thing you may consider is purchasing better but lightly used equipment. As a newbie you can try all the rods you see in a store but the fact is without any real onstream experience you really haven't developed a personal style. So, any general purpose rod that suits your prey will be fine to start with.

Take a look here http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/forumdisplay.php?f=9 for used equipment. Not as much to choose from as ebay but the cost if often less and I've never hear of any unresolved issues with transactions.

Good Luck!

thanks for all the input guys i think im going to go with the

Orvis Streamline 864-2 Mid Flex
8',6'', 4-weight, 2 5/8-oz, mid-flex outfit check with the customer serivce it comes with the Clearwater II Fly Reel (4.4 oz, 3" diameter, for line weights 2-5)
also comes with
Weight-forward floating fly line, backing, tapered nylon leader.

ill pick some flies up at the local fly shop. There rod and real selection was to pricey for my taste because they deal with mainly custom rods they make but there flies are nice and cheap.

Back