What weight fly rod for stripers, on the coast??

AznFlyFisherman1

AznFlyFisherman1

Hey guys, just wondering , what do you guys recommend for fly fishing for stripers. blues sea trout on the coast there? I was thinking an 8wt tfo ticrx or 9wt? Which do you guys think is best for casting out there? thanx..

I recently purchased a 9 wt. Orvis rod with a Battenkill mid arbor reel and used it this fall on the Jersey shore for stripers and blues. It held up great and was a pleasure to cast. I've been told that 8 weights are fine, too, unless you hook into a trophy striper.

I purchased the rod and reel with clear intermediate sinking line from www.flyshopcloseouts.com. I feel I got a great deal. I had a lot of questions, so I called the site directly -- to his credit, the proprietor talked me out of buying the more expensive Mach IV reel and into the Battenkill because he guides on the Cape and believed that his customers consistently preferred the performance of the Battenkill over the Mach IV.

I fish a 7 or 9 wt. depending on the surf and time of year. You can't go wrong with the 9 wt. I like a 10' rod for the surf if your on a boat a 9' will do just fine.

Joe E

I fish a 9wt Temple Fork TiCRX. It has the power to throw large flies and sinking heads and the backbone to whip even large fish.

JoeE is right, my 9' is fine as I usually fish from a boat, but when I fish from the surf a longer rod would be nice.

i was using popovics (sp?) rod.
its a 10'6" 9 wt. (which I'm selling btw) I felt the 8 wt wasn't enough for the bigger flies I used and like the extra length to keep my back casts up. In the back bays and inlets I'd go down to a 7wt for blues and weakies (with the occasional fluke) but it was a 13' rod. I only used a 9' when in a boat.

Skiltonian

HMMM so you guys recommend tfo 9wt ticrx, I kinda wish they made it in 10ft. It would help with the casting, Maybe i get a 10wt sage or orvis rod since they make them in 10ft and 8wt..tfo..I will mainly use this around the surf, and jetty. At the
Indian river inlet in delaware. And during spawning season at turkey point in cheaspeake bay. i want to hook into some of those 20lbs plus stripers..lol..I will be new to the NorthEastern PA area, coming in middle of January. thanx guys for the tips..

I've fished the coast with the long rod for 30 + years a 9wt. is the average..though I carry an 8,9,10,and 12 for big flies and wind...my 10 is a 15 footer..the 8 is good for summer and smaller fish..if you are throwing late season like now, and big flies go with a 10 or 11 wt..

Back