What rod?

S

spike-2

Hi
After spending a couple days in NEPA, I'm interested in finding out what your favorite rods for use in the smallsteams in the area.
Thanks Dave

I really like an old Orvis Superfine series Far & Fine (7'9" 5wt) that I've been using for years. Good little rollcaster. However, I was reading on a Washington State website that there is apparently a huge cult following for the Cabela's Three Forks 3wt. I'm thinking next spring I may have to give that a try. I find myself favoring smaller streams anyhow and at something like $49 its worth a shot. Too rich for my blood, but a buddy let me try a 2wt Loomis GLX one time. Sweet rod for a small stream, but a tough rod to nymph with.

I use a Pac Bay 6'6" 2 wt. The rod is a little over $100. I built mine for $50 and absolutly love it. It is dark green and has a great feel, especially with 6" brookie on the line.

I love brookie creeks and build my own rods - usually out of price point blanks. Since I am a staunch devotee of very short rods, I do most of my brookie fishing with a five piece pack rod - 5'5" for a 3/4WT. Like many of you, I hit a lot of creeks with heavy rhodedendron (sic?) and smaller rods can be very advantageous. Of course the old long rod vs short debate will rage on. Some very good brookie guys like long rods for tiny creeks. I think that, all things considered, short rods offer more advantages in very tight waters. Also, for purely aesthetic reasons, I like the look and feel of tiny rods with small grips and reels. Many "newer" fly fishermen have never held a fly rod under 8 feet since longer rods have become the norm in the last decade or so. There does seem to be a new trend - and the Cabelas rod is a good example - of fishermen discovering short rods.

Back