What net do you like?

Jeremi

Jeremi

Haven't used a net in a long time. Usually never take a fish out of the water. Just shake the fly out. Want to start using one so I can take more pictures of my fish. There are A LOT of choices now. Just wanted to know what the majority of you like. I like the rubber nets. I like the measure nets. I also like the $15 Cabelas mesh bag nets. That was the net that I use to have. Until it got pulled off in the woods and never found. :-(

Welcome to the board.

http://www.basspro.com/Frabill-Wooden-Trout-Net/product/10202165/-1533976

$7 less at BPS than at Cabelas. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is a bit heavy. The rubber bag is awesome but heavier than mesh. I see Cabelas now has an aluminum handle with rubber bag that should be lighter.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Aluminum-Rubber-Net/744705.uts

I would love to see the weight of the Frabill at Cabelas/BPS shop versus the Brodin Ghost of equal size. Anyone have an idea on weight of Brodin Ghost or have access to one to weigh?

Edit : Another option . . . trying to find weights for Brodin v. Frabill and found this at Brodin site . . .

http://www.brodin.com/Trout_Bum_Davidson.html

Double edit : It looks like in addition to being able to buy the replacement Ghost bags from Brodin directly, Orvis will begin selling them in Jan 2011, though they don't say which size it is on the website. Also Orvis is a bit more than Brodin direct, but of course $25 off $50 takes care of that difference. LOL.

Welcome to the board Jeremi. I have a replacement rubber net bag from http://www.themeasurenet.com on an old wood composite handle that works well for me. The "measure net" stuff is very practical.

Jeremi,

Welcome.

Since you're mainly interested in using a net for photographing fish (which is mainly why I use mine) - I'd recommend you stay away from C&R nets and "measure" nets. The reason is their bags are too shallow. Instead, get a net with a soft mesh and very deep bag - the deeper the better. With a deep bag, you can keep that 20" trout in the water by holding the net handle between your knees or by placing the net in shallow water and stepping on the handle with your foot. This will trap the fish and still keep his head underwater and breathing giving you time to fiddle with your camera. Nets with shallow bags don't allow you to free up both hands and a big fish will flip out of 'em if you try this.

I own a $15 net from Dick's or something. The generic laminate handle one you always see.

I picked one out with the soft mesh bag, and I always get it wet with a couple good sloshes through the water before I use it. A wet mesh bag is better than a dry bag.

I, too, have lost it more than once in the woods. Last time this happened, I used Epoxy in and around the screw hole when I put it back on. Hasn't fallen off since.

I like a cheap one so I can use it to smash off low hanging branches that seem to have caught my fly. I've had to re-glue the handle pieces back together a time or two. But whatever, cost me $15 and lasted me nearly 4 years now, I think.

I have the same measure net replacement bag that Albatross has, and I like it very much.

My bag is the large size, and I have held fish up to 18" in the net for photos with no problem.

I'd also advise getting a magnetic net release if you don't have one already; it can help you from losing another net. One of this site's sponsors carries one for a reasonable price.

I have the aluminum rubber bag net that jdaddy posted. I no longer have to worry about digging hooks out of a mesh net and its deep enough that I use it for every type of fishing that I do.

goodfortune wrote:
g a magnetic net release if you don't have one already; it can help you from losing another net. One of this site's sponsors carries one for a reasonable price.

Seconded! I bought the overpriced Orvis model, and its definatly worth the cash... So the half-priced Allen model is, well, worth twice the money I guess?

gfen wrote:
goodfortune wrote:
g a magnetic net release if you don't have one already; it can help you from losing another net. One of this site's sponsors carries one for a reasonable price.

Seconded! I bought the overpriced Orvis model, and its definatly worth the cash... So the half-priced Allen model is, well, worth twice the money I guess?

Third! But realize the net can still come off pretty easily when you are prowling through the woods all hung over. I see that one of them there manufacturers has a 2x strength release. Of course you could buy 3-4 Allens for the cost of that 2x release. Or you could get with forum nerds and harvest magnets from hard disk drives. I would have figured that is what you would do Jerry as it combines nerd with craft with frugal ftw!

i like a 12 to 22 foot cast net for bait. for trout a tear drop works.

Thanks for the warm welcome. You guys have a great forum! I love in Missouri. We have some great trout fishing here as well. But for some reason we have no forums that a lot of people visit. I fish a few spring creeks regularly that are similar to yours. Soo, this my new Internet home I guess. Lol. Thanks to the replies. Couldn't belive there where so many so fast!!

You ever play with a pair of rare earth magnets out of a HDD? The fabric of your vest/belt/etc will rip before they pull apart, and if you let 'em snap together from a distance, they will crush a fingernail easily.

They're fun, really.

My magnet release is used in conjunction with some coiled shock cord. If the net gets hung and breaks off the magnet, its still on me.

I like Fishidiot's approach-soft, deep, mesh nets are most ideal for fish photography..I like the Brodins.

Jeremi wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. You guys have a great forum! I love in Missouri. We have some great trout fishing here as well. But for some reason we have no forums that a lot of people visit. I fish a few spring creeks regularly that are similar to yours. Soo, this my new Internet home I guess. Lol. Thanks to the replies. Couldn't belive there where so many so fast!!

Welcome and many of us are bored.

albatross wrote:
Welcome to the board Jeremi. I have a replacement rubber net bag from http://www.themeasurenet.com on an old wood composite handle that works well for me. The "measure net" stuff is very practical.

I second the measure net I have one and really like it. You can measure your fish in the water and not injure the fish.

I've always used a cheapie wooden C/R net for around $20. I've stepped on them and broke them, had them get caught up in brush in serious bushwacking and realize it pulled off the release (which had been repaired numerous times from the same sort of treatment) and had to go back for them... Last time I lost it I couldn't find where it was in the brush.

My wife's grandmother bought me a Brodin C/R net for Christmas. It's very nice, with the mesh bag. Hope I treat this one better than the last ones ;-) It is sure light and seems very strong at the same time. I like it. Can't wait to fish with it.

Cheers,
Mike.

Nets seem to have come very far in the last 10 years or so with more lightweight materials and more fish friendly netting- still hate carrying one though. Got the ghost.

Attachments

• BrodinGhost.jpg
    BrodinGhost.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 2
I carry a net but only use it if I want to photograph a trout or net an exceptional one. I did'nt carry a net at all for several years but learned my lesson when I nearly lost a 18.5 inch Brook Trout because I had no net. It worked out but would have been better if I had a net with me. Now I don't leave home without one. LOL. The net I use is a Wolf Moon "Oxbow". It has a soft mesh bag and is 10 inches deep. Handcrafted in the USA of Ash and Black Walnut. Made by Bill and Donna Kallner in White Lake, Wisconsin and retails for about $60. Very good quality and works great. McConnells Country Store and Fly Shop in Waterville, Pa. are a stocking dealer for these nets.

How about a net for steelhead/salmon?
I've seen the measure nets and a few of the $100 boat nets but have yet to find an inexpensive net, steelhead size.
For the past 15 years or so a wet woolen glove has been my way of handling them. Sucks getting my hand wet this time of year.

Back