Warm Weather Wading options...

Eric-A

Eric-A

So when it gets so hot you dont want your Waders anymore, What are some good options besides the Old Sneakers?

Anyone use Water Shoes or Crocks or...?

Thanks

Eric

I use Simms Guard Socks. Essentially a neoprene sock where the top flips over to form a gravel guard. They even have a hook that fastens to you wading boots.

just_jon wrote:
I use Simms Guard Socks. Essentially a neoprene sock where the top flips over to form a gravel guard. They even have a hook that fastens to you wading boots.

That's the way to do it. The neoprene sock fills out the space normally filled by the neoprene bootie of your waders.

Then you just wear your regular wading shoes, which give you far more protection for your feet than water shoes or sandals, etc.

No matter how hot it gets I stick with my waders. Too many horror stories about people getting skin infections, etc.

I wear quick-drying pants and take an extra shirt and socks to change into when finished. Avoiding the mid-day hours also helps.

Like Berks, I'll never fish without waders. The stories on this board of people getting infections are enough for me. I wear thin wicking underwear along with thin Alpaca socks while fishing the Yough. I can honestly say I've never been uncomfortable. I've seen folks that buy good quality waders and wear blue jeans under them. That just defeats the whole purpose of breathable waders.

I wear a light pair of quick drying nylon pants and light poly socks under my waders when the weather is warm. I NEVER fish without waders, I agree too many stories of infections from wet wading for me.

I also use those Simms Guard socks with my normal boots I use with my waders and love them. Imo, don't wet wade with Crocs unless it is a low gradient stream with very easy wading. One of the few times I've tried wet wading with crocs was actually in Colorado. I'll never do that again. The stream was high, fast, and filled with big boulders which made for difficult wading. At one point I actually lost one in fast water and while going after the one the other came off!! I retrieved them both thankfully. And they don't protect you're ankles from rocks and such.

Bingo. I wear shorts or quck dry fishing pants and the Simms gaurd socks with my wading boots. I will still wear waders if there is bush wacking involved.

Gander Mtn. has a nice Frogg Toggs neoprene bootie for wet wading. They are $15. Good deal IMO...

I wear sandals but I make sure the toes are enclosed. I recently bought a pair of Teva's. Keen makes some good sandals that have a thick rubberized toe but thaey run from $80 - $100.

Im also careful where and how I wade when wet wading.

I've had the Simms Keen sandals. Although built well, it's impossible to keep the stones out. Keeping that in mind, a lot of manufacturers make neoprene socks but most do not have built in gravel guards. Simms has a pair that fold over and have a lace hook. I usually go through a pair a year, but then again mine never have a chance to dry out.

I usually go through a pair a year, but then again mine never have a chance to dry out.

Take them out of the car and hang them in the garage to dry. I fish daily and my neoprene socks are always dry in the morning. I've been using the same pair since 2008. They show some wear, but I'll get a few more seasons out of them.

I wear heavy wool socks and quick dry pants. I do get small stones in my boots, so every once and awhile I have to pull my boots off and wash them out. They usually do not bother me though.

Neoprene wading socks and my wading shoes

Flip flops or water shoes (Merrel) or wading boots (Korkers) with or without the Simms neoprene sock if wading wet. It all works, depends on my mood and where I'm going...

tomitrout wrote:
Flip flops or water shoes (Merrel) or wading boots (Korkers) with or without the Simms neoprene sock if wading wet. It all works, depends on my mood and where I'm going...

It's a good idea to have some protection on your feet, i.e. real wading shoes. Because there is broken glass, nails sticking out boards, barbed wire, rusting metal junk of all kinds in the streams.

Yep. and sometimes I'll even wear my protective bubble, but that can make it hard to effectively fish when I'm floating unctontrollably with the current...like I said, depends on my mood and where I'm going.

:roll:

Water shoes are cheap....and they don't last very long either.

simms riprap shoes and redington shorts with a mesh liner...like swim shorts but in a mute tan color with regular cargo shorts features.
the creek shoes i studded with simms cleats. i liked them so much i bought a second pair to wear as regular shoes.

Back