wading boots

H

hectortmc

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse but i need some input on wading boots. Going away from felt going to rubber bottoms with studs. Not sure what to get so I'm asking for your opinions to help me out.
thanks in advance.

IMO don't buy Orvis studed boots. The studs do not protrude enough. I have a pair and had to put the screws to them for better traction..........Any boot will work if you add the screws........

+1 on Orvis. Studs are far from acceptable for a rubber soled boot. I installed studs used in Europe for raving motorcycles on ice and they worked ok. Should we have to modify an expensive boot to make it useable? I say no. Check out the Korkers. They arethebest I've tried.

Simms "Guide" Boots. They are very comfortable and tough. My first pair lasted almost 5 years and I fish more than the average guy. I just replaced them a couple of months ago with an identical pair except I installed the Simms "Hardbite" Star Cleats.

I second WildTigetTrout. I've got the Simms Guide Boots with the star cleats & they are awesome.

I've got the Simms guide boots as well. Nice boot, and they'd better be for the ridiculous price!!!! I too came from felt, which I still have and use on occasion.

Mine also have star cleats, though the alumibite ones.

As a direct comparison between the Simms and studded felt, well, there is no comparison. Felt is hands-down better traction. Sure, rubber is better in mud and soil. But when fishing, even on the banks, 99% of my time is spent on rock, and for that other 1%, I never really struggled with any sole. Anything is fine in gravel and broken rock as well. It's the big boulders, flat or rounded, where you really notice the difference, and of course, that's where you really need the traction.

That said, the traction isn't terrible with the rubber. I'd call it "acceptable". Better than I feared, for sure. My only rubber soled experiences had been those cheapo rubber hippers, which are downright deadly IMO. These Simms are far superior to that.

As for longevity, doesn't look good. After only a dozen or so outings the soles are beginning to flatten out a bit, just like hiking boots with softer rubber do. I still have a lot of tread left, but the fact that it's even noticable this soon isn't good. That's always a trade-off, I guess. Hard rubber lasts a long time, but offers poor traction. Softer rubbers offer better traction, but wear down quicker.

Perhaps if going the rubber route, you just gotta look at them as expendable equipment. Like waders, something that will last 2-4 years and get replaced. And if that's the conclusion I come to, for the next pair, I probably won't spend north of $100.

what we need is a pair of work style of boot with the lace up and insides made for water. the soles are thick and take studs fine. used to stud my work boots for winter outside construction. being wearing studs so long I think I could put them direct in foot...

These studs don't stick out far enough for you?

orvisstuds.jpg

If you're adding spikes to boots, try these out.

http://www.solespikes.com/our-product/

If the studs stick out too far ion a boot with a harder rubber sole ,the rubber can never meet the rock, when needed. I asked about this last week and H-A recommended Bean's studs for my Bean boots. I'm glad I listened. The grip was great..

@Orvisdowningtown- those studs are not in the Orvis boots I bought. I use Orvis rods, and Orvis waders, but the Orvis boots w/studs didn't cut it. Once I add the ice racing screws, they are great. I really like the fit of the Orvis boot.

My recommendations are to purchase a good pair of waders. That way if you hit that deep hole you wont get soaked. Once the weather warms up, a good pair of sneakers and standing in the water will help keep you cool. P.s. Some chest waders will double as waist waders.

Good boots with studs are the most important piece of equipment for personal safety. Falling can ruin a fishing trip, and, more seriously, you can wind up in a life threatening situation. Hypothermia is a serious concern if you take a swim on a cold winter day and an injury from a fall in a remote location is another very serious concern. Spend the money on good footwear with quality studs.

I use the simms rivershed boot. I like the rubber edge around the bottom half of the boot from heel to toe. It gives good protection from stubbing your toes on rocks and protects the boots from getting ripped up over time. I put the orvis posi-grip studs (the ones pictured above in the Orvisdownington post) in the soles of these boots and they have provided excellent traction.

I've had these boots/studs since 2010 and wear them all year (with neoprene wet wading socks in the summer). I have been very happy with their performance and durability. I have had to replace the laces on the boots, and one of the four little carbide spikes broke off of one of the studs, otherwise these products have held up very, very well. These boots have been used hard. I fish 100+ days each year and cover a lot of water when I fish. They’ve been used in some of the toughest terrain from Idaho to Central Pennsylvania.

Patagonia makes boots with aluminum bars on the bottom. Rather than pay $200 I decided to make a set on my own. They may look strange but they work better than my felt or rubber soles. The only complaint I have is crossing a metal grate bridge is a little awkward.

wOIsNGM.jpg

I started using a pair of cabelas felt soled boots. I went into a fly shop looking for a new pair of boots after mine had taken a beating, the shop owner set me up with a pair of Simms rubber soled/studded boots and I love them. I rarely slip on Moss and rock the studs grip the rocks and don't let go. The top of the line boot right now is the Patagonia boot with the aluminum bars on the bottom, just like the Korkers pictured. That Aluminum sticks to everthing in the water. I hope my rambling has been helpful.

Back