Wader and Wading Boots Storage - Colder Months

D

Dale49

Hi Everyone,

Would like to hear your opinions and experience in "storing" waders and wading boots in the colder months. I do fish during the winter. When my waders are not in use, I hang the waders on a hook and the boots on a metal storage rack in my attached garage. There are times when I may not fish for a few weeks or so

I don' t believe that the garage temperature gets below 32 deg. F. Should I continue to store the waders and boots in the garage or in the basement when not in use.

Thanks.

Dale

Mine stay in the bed of my truck under the tonneau cover year round. I've never had a problem.

Once fully dry, I would store them by hanging in a "room-temperature" environment. If they were going to be put away for months at a time. Folding them into a box and keeping them dry and out of light would probably be ideal.

Having said that, they aren't that fragile, so if storage is an issue, I wouldn't think cold would be an issue. Damp, on the other hand, should be avoided.

Been hanging my waders in my garage for years. Wading boots sit on the floor below them. My garage gets really cold in winter and hotter than he!! in the summer. Does not seem to have had an adverse effect on the gear. Main thing is to dry things out between uses.

I never had a problem in an attached garage. I did have a problem in a hot attic. They were relatively new breathables. The summer heat caused the inner layer or membrane to separate from the outer layer.

I fish all year so I don't store my gear for any period of extended time. I hang my wader in the laundry room where I let them dry in between outings. If I don't get out for a period of time I move them to a closet where I hang them up. I keep my boots on a rubber mat in the laundry room. Nothing scientific about it. If you're storing your waders for an extended period, be sure the waders are fully dried, put them in a dark and dry place that does not get too hot. Good to go.

I usually try to roll my waders to avoid any stress creases.

I've stored mine in the garage for years and I've gotten good life out of them (just recently replaced a 5 yr old set of Orvis Silver Labels). I would think the biggest issue is out of direct light.

Back