Ultra-light Rods: 1 weight and below?

Deuterium

Deuterium

The lightest rods I own and have fished are 3 weights. Views on ultralights (e.g. Sage TXL-F 000, 00, 0 and 1 wts) would be appreciated. Where and how do you use them? Do you like them? Who makes similar rods?

I'd cast them to see if they are for you. Novelty factor is what makes or breaks such a light rod. I don't think there are very many practical uses for them vs a plain old 3wt, but if they make you happy, that's all that matters.

I cast them and didn't really feel any great amount of joy, so I decided they aren't for me. If you feel otherwise, it's probably worth looking into getting one.

The place they can be really fun is in the west where their roadside,mountain streams and even irrigating ditches,are much more open then Pa.s little stuff.
Even down in the south the brookie streams tend to be more open.

Dear Deuterium,

I own an Orvis 1 weight and while I don't use it often I find that it has it's time and place. For dry fly fishing on streams say, 50 feet or less in width and without much wind it's a lot of fun to use.

I find it to be an ideal rod for a place like Clarks Creek or even Spring Creek in Centre County if I make the decision to fish surface flies only.

Having said that on more than one occasion I've rigged up a hopper and dropper on it and cast a size 8 or 10 Hopper with a size 16 or 18 beadhead tied to the bend and it worked. It did take some creative leader buidling though because you really need a leader that will turn the rig over because the 1 weight line doesn't carry a whole lot of energy by itself.

If you ever get around Clarks Creek or the Harrisburg area I'd be glad to meet up with you and let you fart around with my 1 weight to see if it's something you are interested in.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

TimMurphy wrote:
I own an Orvis 1 weight and while I don't use it often I find that it has it's time and place. For dry fly fishing on streams say, 50 feet or less in width and without much wind it's a lot of fun to use.

There's no finer pleasure, to me, that my Orvis 1wt.

That said, it is of limited scenario usage. Fortunately, its the scenario I take the most pleasure from, catching be damned.

I'd like to try a Sage TXL-000, but am willing to concede its becoming a point of novelty in anything but itty bitty midging/trico/et al.

Just my two cents: Very rarely will you ever find a need for anything under a 2wt. Hell, I've never even fished or much less picked up a 2wt.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure they're fun to use but, seemingly unnecessary.

I love my St. Croix. "Avid" 7'6" 2 weight. I like to fish ultralights when the conditions are right. These light rods are fun when the winds are light. Also great for fishing Tricos or other small flys. Unfortunately do not make good all- around rods.

NCPAtrtbum wrote:
Just my two cents: Very rarely will you ever find a need for anything under a 2wt. Hell, I've never even fished or much less picked up a 2wt.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure they're fun to use but, seemingly unnecessary.

Dear NCPA,

I think that was the same thing that was said when Zebco came out with the 202 and Mitchell came out with the 308?

Who would have even imagined the need for line lighter than 10# test?

So long as you aren't dicking up the fish for your amusement what is the harm with an ultralight rig?

People are fishing 7 and 8X tippet on 5 weights and doing it carefully so as to not lose their 25 cent fly, that does far more harm.

Regards,

I own 3 different 1 wt's, orvis-super fine, and a trident tl, and Sage txl. I love to fish will all but the sage seams to come out of the stable more. I feel it to be a faster action rod I use Sage line on all three.
I too would like to try a OOO but untill I get a win fall these may be it. Great rods for the middle of summer when light is the name of the day.

TimMurphy wrote:
People are fishing 7 and 8X tippet on 5 weights and doing it carefully so as to not lose their 25 cent fly, that does far more harm.

My tippet is the same stuff, 4wt rod or 1wt rod, but if anything the flexy 1wt is easier and quicker to horse in.

I'm not afraid of a graphite stick snapping before 2# test does, and even if so, Orvis'll give me a new one for the next 23 years, anyways.

I suppose if I were fishing in a place where 16"+ fish were the norm, I'd reconsider it. However, a 1wt rod makes every 8" fish feel like its 14, and a 14"r is intensely fun.

FWIW, to address NCPA's comments, very rarely will you ever need anything under a 4wt, so why establish an arbitrary line at 2wt, which in turn isn't that much heavier than 1wt line.

Thanks all. Good insights and nice to see pros and cons.

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Deuterium,

I own an Orvis 1 weight and while I don't use it often I find that it has it's time and place.

If you ever get around Clarks Creek or the Harrisburg area I'd be glad to meet up with you and let you fart around with my 1 weight to see if it's something you are interested in.

Regards,

Thanks, Tim. I may take you up on it sometime.

Well, a good deal presented itself so I added an Orvis SFT 761-4 to my quiver. I am sure I will figure these things out quickly, but thoughts on leaders, flies etc that are best suited for this rod would be appreciated.

There is no practical reason, IMO.

That said, if it's what you like to do, by all means have at it. This sport was about having fun, last I checked. It's loaded with impracticalities. I often take the less effective route in the name of fun, and have absolutely no guilt about that.

Just understand that it is indeed less effective. If you enjoy something, it's real easy to convince yourself otherwise. And then you end up trying to convince others, which would be like arguing that a 14 ft, 9 wt spey rod is appropriate for mountain freestoner brookie fishing.

but thoughts on leaders, flies etc that are best suited for this rod would be appreciated.

Generally, smallish flies on wide open streams. But flies isn't the big thing to concern yourself with, so long as you aren't tryin to toss big leaded streamers or something.

Leaders. That's where real adjustments will have to be made. The fly line is gonna be light and thin. You'll probably wanna go to a smaller diameter on the butt section of your leaders. You may also find that with less energy in the cast, you have to shorten your leaders overall.

i just sort of fiddle with line til i have somthing that seems pleasantly leaderish, and go. they usually start life somewhere around the joe humphries 7'6" small creek leader, but with more tippet.

a non-too-bulky dry fly is funner than a big affair, and i have no interest in nymphing or indicators, and i don't see the point of using a rod this sublime for that sort of act. horses for courses. size 14 or smaller flies, in simple non bulky patterns. ie, more adams less letort hopper.

grease your leader, and you can make it pirouette across the water.

enjoy it.

edit: i argue "wide open streams" because i'm not sure what defination you're using. i wouldn't want to stoop under a cover of rhodies and try to bow and arrow this, but making it dance under cover or ludacris casting under brush is part of the fun of this thing. its responsive. british roadsters of fly fishing. woefully impractical, but impeccably fun.

I have been using a 1wt Orvis Superfine Trout Bum for the last couple years. The rod is a beautiful olive and the 7.5' four piece rod only weighs 1.5 ozs.
I used a Sage 3100 reel mainly because it weighs only 2.7 ozs. I used 2 wt line...... all the 1wt line I tried was so thin it coiled even on a super large arbor reel.
It was fun to use, but only for tiny nymphs or dries. Great for tiny chubs and tiny trout.... but a 12" or bigger trout would be too much for the rod.
I had a ball with the small sunfish, but it wouldn't cast a popper or a medium sized bugger.
It was a "fad" and something new to try, but I sold it and now use a 3wt as the smallest rod for tiny fish.
Also the cork handle was so small it was uncomfortable to fish with. The tiny reel had a click drag and didn't hold any backing....... no big deal, a 4" sunfish won't get into the backing! LOL
It was fun, but never below a 3wt for this guy!!

you so crazy. handle is goodness.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

I fish a Sage TXL #0 7'10". It is a great rod. Surprisingly, it has backbone to it...close the same amount as my Winston WT #3 7'6". It has plenty enough to 'chuck' some split shot and nymph....but it really excels at tossing dries. It's almost difficult to not have a very light presentation to the surface. No problem landing a fish quickly either.

I like to check in at this site every now and then.

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

To me if ya fly fish your all ready down with putting more of a challege into fish than your average bait dunkers. To me its how much of a challege you set your self up for. Experience do you want. So everyone has a line wt. that they think is sutable or certain stuff. I love 2wt and light tippets for brookies. My buddy fishes 7.5 4wt. with for the same. Its all opinion.

Back