Thoughts on 5 weight rod

linuxSpark

linuxSpark

Lady and Gentlemen,

I'm looking into getting a new 5 weight rod here directly. Trying to keep it between the 2 - 4 hundred shillings range. Was looking at Scotts A4, Sage Flight, and possible a St. Croix. I also was looking into the Echo 3 rods. Does anyone have any input? I don't know anyone that has an Echo 3 rod but they look really nice. Any input would be highly recommended. Thanks Marc

I dont have the echo 3. But I do own a ion the craftmansshipe is awsome for the price.

Thanks for the input. The echo rods are nice looking rods. Good to know!

Scott makes a nice rod. I hear good things about the A4.

Two other really good rods for the price are the Winston Passport ($295) and VSL ($320). If you want to go higher for $495 you can't beat the Winston GVX.

I tried an Echo rod (not sure which model) and it is a nice rod. The Sage flight is also an excellent rod, a really nice rod. A friend of mine has a St. Croix Avid series and that is a nice rod. I do not know anything about the Scott A4 rod.

I have a Echo 3 6wt saltwater that really throws it down. Smallies, stripers, steelhead, big trout. Thinking about a 5wt also

Thanks for all the input guys. This is a tough decision since I will be using this rod for all around (nymph, streamer, dry) and this will be a upgrade from my old rod. Will be mostly fishing Penns, Honey, Tea, Jacks, Kish, along with some others. A lot of options and all opinions are extremely appreciated. I'm glad to here something finally about the Echo 3 they are some of best best looking rods I've seen but I was never sure of the quality since it's hard to find reviews on those

The Echo rod I used was the 9', 5wt Echo Carbon. Really fished well, I was very surprised how nice it felt for the price.

Try as many rods as possible before buying.

Thanks for the input gents. I will be hitting up tco/flyfishers soon to try a few. Not sure which way I'm leaning yet. Tough call hopefully the force will be with me on my choice!! Fish ON!

GreenWeenie wrote:
Two other really good rods for the price are the Winston Passport ($295) and VSL ($320). If you want to go higher for $495 you can't beat the Winston GVX.

I tried an Echo rod (not sure which model) and it is a nice rod. The Sage flight is also an excellent rod, a really nice rod. A friend of mine has a St. Croix Avid series and that is a nice rod. I do not know anything about the Scott A4 rod.

Passport is $199 just sayin green.

SB, correction well noted. Finger hit the 2 instead of the 1 and didn't proof read it well enough before hitting the post button. At $199 it's even a better bargain.

I also need to get a 5 weight rod in 9'. I have a 5wt 8'6" rod (Albright A5) which is a *great* dry fly rod, but it is a total puke for flipping or casting anything remotely heavy (nymphs, streamers or even big bass dries).

I'm trying to convince myself I need the Scott S4, but I know that I don't. However, I've heard nothing but intense praise for that rod. Unfortunately, it's $695, thus making my post totally OT.

linux - you know what? Why not have a rod built. You can get save money and get exactly the rod you want in the process.

Steffen Brothers 8' 5/6 fiberglass

My understanding is that the Scott rod is VERY good. They claim that it will hang with rods twice the price. I called Scott a 2-3 months ago to ask a few questions and the guy almost got me to buy one over the phone.

At your price point, I'd rule out the Sage, consider the St Croix and the Echo.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Scott rod for sure!!!!!

Im just really looking at the warranty as well. A lot of factors in this decision but within a month I hope to have a new rod and reel! and ripping lips with it! Ill just take your opinions and have to stop at tco and flyfishers

Here's something to chew on.....

You can find the discontinued Z-Axis for pretty cheap. Got one, love it.

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Croix-Ultra-Fly-Rod-2-thru-6-Wt-4-Pc-Models-/270944974298?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f159435da

I would second looking into the discontinued St. Croix Ultra. It looks like they still have some 4 piece 8'6" 5wt's and some 2 piece 9' 5wt's.

I'm extremely pleased with my 8' 4wt... especially given the price.

After playing with Winston, G.Loomis, and St.Croix rods - I always come back to the Sage line. I would not discount the Flight until you cast one...

Scott rods are very nice too!

Back