Thinking about a 7 weight

C

cwwbell

I have a 4, a 6, and a 9. Thinking about adding a rod to the roster and thinking it's going to be either a 9' 7 weight or possibly a different 6 weight. The 6 weight I have is in need of repair, it's a St Croix Avid 9' 2 piece. It's been stepped on and is missing the last 4 inches or so. I filed it down to make the second to last guide the new tip top and it casts well still but is missing something. I guess my question is will a 7 weight add much versatility to my arsenal? I would like to do more warmwater fishing, for river smallies and largemouths in lakes. Also possibly headed up to Fall Creek in Ithaca once or twice this Fall to fish for Landlocks. Lately really love tossing big articulated streamers for trout too. Thinking about a TFO BVK, already got a Sage 1880 reel on the way that could be rigged with a #7 line.

I think you've already figured it out. There's a by ch of guys on here with that stick and they've got nothing but praise for it.

If You want it for warmwater fishing and streamers, look into a TFO Mangrove. It is bascially a bvk with the TiCr coating. the tip seems to be a tad softer when I cast that next to my BVK.

Thanks for the tips guys! jabink84 I dig your blog, I got to it via google a few months ago and trust your opinion based on those huge streamers and the huge trout you're catching.

krayfish wrote:
I think you've already figured it out. There's a by ch of guys on here with that stick and they've got nothing but praise for it.

+1

I love my BVK, but I have broken it 2 times in 6 months. my buddy I fish with alot out here has broken his 4 times in a little over a year. I wonder if the light weight of it sacrifices some of the shock absorbing ability. All the breaks were either casting or hook setting.

Honestly the only two differences that I could tell between the BVK and the mangrove are a softer tip on the mangrove which was nice for close in work and it was slightly heavier than the BVK.

I have been trying to keep the blog a little more up to date. I fell away from it for a little bit. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

The lighter a rod is, typically means it is effected by even the slightest nick or scratch on the blank. So if you hit it with a split shot, fly, or rock, then it can gradually split the graphite and break on you in unusual times, like casting or when stressed by a fish of any size. It's the give and take of the great new technology of the lighter fly rods of today. Make sure you have a good warranty when making a purchase of a high end rod.

Back