TFO BVK 10' 5 weight

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

So I was at Cabelas In Hamburg last week and impulse bought a tfo bvk at a good price in 10' 5 weight. I really liked its castability but since I am rather new (less than 2 years) into fly fishing, what should I expect to use this rod for. I like the way it yard casts but have yet to take it to the water with all the rain here in nepa...can I fish dries with this or is it a strictly nymphing stick? Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys the weekend!

I'm not familiar with the TFO BVK rods but I can tell you a 10'5 wt is a very versatile rod.

I know most people who use longer rods for nymphing prefer the 4 wt (or even 3). I bought a 10' 5 wt because I figured it would be helpful on bigger water like the Delaware system. I just don't feel comfortable using a 4 wt in some situations where there is a chance of hooking into some bruisers. The little bit of extra beefiness makes things easier on the fish and the angler.

I have the Orvis Clearwater in a 10 5 and while I thought it would be mostly a nymphing rod I found its great for dries and smaller streamers as well. The extra length really helps with line control.

I've cast the #7,8 and #9 at a show when helping a buddy choose a stick.

Nicely made good looking rods, that compare well to Redington and Greys higher end rods.

Those rods had pretty fast actions as does my CPX #5 which is for weighted streamers and indicator nymphing for mid range casts, and perhaps big dries and terrestrials.

What it and I suspect yours won't do is protect the tippet very well- which I have a softer mid-action 4wt for. I'd not use anything less than 5x on it. IMHO not the stick for light line nymphing or delicate dry flyes, but others might disagree.

Back