Take me to your leader.

E

edinfly

I'm an Erie steelhead junkie trying to learn the nuances of regular spring/summer trout fishing in pa.

I've alway used pre-looped tapered leaders, but have been reading a lot about hand tied leaders.

Any significant advantages to taking the time to hand tie?

edinfly wrote:
I'm an Erie steelhead junkie trying to learn the nuances of regular spring/summer trout fishing in pa.

I've alway used pre-looped tapered leaders, but have been reading a lot about hand tied leaders.

Any significant advantages to taking the time to hand tie?

Lots of advantages, and some disadvantages. Like anything else you wind up using what works for you and instills confidence. For me, the biggest advantage is to be able to design leaders for specific situations and modify them on the stream as needed. I highly recommend the book "Drag free drift" by Joseph Kissane. It is well researched and dispels a lot of common myths about different types of leaders and leader construction.
I put together a couple of handouts on leaders for the Newbie Jam earlier this year. A lot of the information came from Kissane's book as well as other sources. I would be happy to email you (or anyone else) a copy if you PM an address.
Mike.

I make all my own leaders now. They are in no way an exact science, but pretty close. The advantage to me is to be able to build it back up after a tear off. A few blood knots and you're good to go. Plus I can add or subtract to adhere to my current conditions.

In regards to Erie, learn the ways of the barrel swivel system. Take a section of 30-50lb test and attach to your fly line. Then a section of 15lb-20lb test and a barrel swivel. Attach your tippet from there and leave a tag end from your knot of about 3-6". Attach split shot to the tag end and tie a simple overhand knot at the end to keep them from slipping off easily. ALL tear offs will occur at the barrel swivel, causing less headaches from leader building. Plus if your shot get hung up, then your overhand knot gets torn off fairly easily and you keep your flies. I don't recommend this when the creeks are VERY low, but in most other conditions it works very well.

Ryan

i have not tied my own.
however i prefer knotted leaders over tapered leaders.
i have used one knotted leader long enough, that i ended up repairing it so much that i can almost say i hand tied it.

You have been taken to my leader

http://theunfamousfly.co.uk/tackle/stuff/hends-camou-french-leaders/

The biggest advantage is versatility. Can choose and adjust your leader to meet conditions. Taper, materials, etc. All in the equation.

Personally, I like stiffer materials for the butt, and softer materials for the tippet, with a rather abrupt change in the middle of the taper part. Seems to give me the best combination of turnover and drag control.

Back