Switch rod reel size

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Simple question but maybe someone can clarify: What size Lamson reel on an 11'3" 7 weight switch rod? 3.5 or 4? Thanks!

The 3.5 is rated for 7/8 but I was told to up a reel size for a switch like if mine is 7 weight, get a 9/10 reel. If I can get away with a 7/8 size reel I already have one so that's cool...

Anyone use a switch for steelies with some input?

I have an 8-wt switch rod that I use a 9/10 reel on, the reason for that is I have a 10-wt line on the reel to load my rod properly. I think the bottom line is that your line can fit on the reel with enough backing.

Instead of spending the money on switch, Scandi, or skagit lines, could I just up line the reel with 9 weight sink tip to swing streamers and still two hand cast for distance? I am learning this type of casting now and don't want to break the bank on line that I might not need. I got a redington cpx 11'3" 7 weight for like $160 shipped brand new with a warranty card from a discount retailer online. I thought that was a good deal for the rod as a starter.

Have and use a 7 wt switch 3.5 is fine for the head and running line and 100 feet backing.

I am glad to hear that the 3.5 reel works. I have an Allen Alpha that is a 7/8 weight that I thought would be too small to work. Maybe it will do the job. If not, it is a quality reel that I am sure someone would be interested in. Thanks!

Use a reel sized for a 9/10. Or 3 3/4 with gel spun backing, 4" with dacron.
I cast that rod with a 6wt rio switch chucker and liked it.

I have a Lamson Velocity 3.5 that I use on my Redington CPX 11'3" 7wt switch rod lined with 8/9 Beulah switch line and it is a bit tight on the spool with the line and backing and sink tips attached. I highly suggest the 4. I made the mistake of thinking the 3.5 would be fine, but it is not. Maybe if your shooting head is shorter and not as bulky as the Beulah line I have you might be fine, but it is better to go bigger that be sorry like me.

BTW, the Redington CPX switch is a very nice rod. It casts beautifully.

Go with the 4 or use less or smaller diameter backing. Avid Max has a great deal on last year's SA spey lines.

I have an Echo 11'7" switch rod. I would go with the 4. But I'd try the reel you have first, might be OK. I use a spey line with an Orvis 7/8 LA reel and it's great.

The rule of thumb is to go up at least one full reel size. You certainly CAN use a smaller reel, but I wouldn't recommend it.

On my 7wt spey, I use a 10wt reel, which leave plenty of room for big skagit heads.

Bottom line, if you're buying a new reel, get the 4, if not, you can definitely use the 3.5.

Big-Bass wrote:
Instead of spending the money on switch, Scandi, or skagit lines, could I just up line the reel with 9 weight sink tip to swing streamers and still two hand cast for distance? I am learning this type of casting now and don't want to break the bank on line that I might not need. I got a redington cpx 11'3" 7 weight for like $160 shipped brand new with a warranty card from a discount retailer online. I thought that was a good deal for the rod as a starter.

Not likely to work very well. A 9wt line would not load the rod properly (too light in weight) and the head on a SH WF line would be way too long. Rod length X 3 is the rule of thumb for a head in 2H casting.

Switch rods spend a lot of time in closets, basements and garages because caster doesn't use the proper line for the rod.

The 3.5 will work but the 4 would be better. I have Meiser and TFO 8 weight switch rods, and the Konic 3.5, the line fits but is a little snug. As for line, I got a custom made scandi line from Steve Godshall, and it is better than any "big" manufacturer's line, IMHO. I use it for everything, salmon, browns, steelhead, it's just a great line. Invest in a great line for your switch rod and you will love it.
I don't have Steve Godshall's info right now, but if you contact Bob Meiser he will give you Steve's contact info, and his prices are very, very reasonable. I contacted him, told him what rod I was using, what I was using it for, he recommended a line, made it that day, and I had it 2 days later, right in time for my trip to NY.

I think your Alpha would work, if you like that reel, just use a little less backing on it. But please contact Steve Godshall, I keep plugging him cuz his lines are amazing.

How much backing would you suggest with my Alpha 7/8 and also, what line would best serve my purpose aside from the custom line? Would Rio Switch 7/8 work? I would like to swing streamers and occasionally indicator fish. Do I need anything additional besides the leader if I got the switch line?

You can find Rio's line recommendations here:

http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summit/pdf/Old%20Spey%20Line%20Recommendations%202013.pdf

I would go with the A selection as I find their suggestions a bit heavy, IMO.

The Rio switch chucker in a #6 would be my choice.
OR
SGS line from Steve Godshall-----541-840-2594. He's very good dealing with casters new to the game and will set you up with an assortment of tips for your line and rod.

Use gel spun backing for that Alpha Reel.

Back