Steelhead rod

wbranch

wbranch

I've been looking to buy another steelhead rod and want a 10' #6 or maybe a 10' #7. Do any forum members own any Grey's rods? I'd be interested hearing from anyone with a 9' - 10' #6 or #7 rod. I'd like to know how they like it and how it fishes. I have a 10' 6" #6 switch rod but to tell you the truth after a day of high sticking that rod my arm is about ready to fall off.

I'm specifically interested in the GRXi+ 10' #6 GRXIP85. This rod is perfect for Erie steelhead, probably too light for Cat or Salmon River steelhead but I have a 9' #7, 9' #8 for those bigger fish and bigger flies.

Thanks!

SCott ARC 1007 Or Scott G 1007. They Arent Made Anymore, But You Can Get Them On Ebay (Occasionally) For 250 - 400. If You Break Them, SOtt Will Fix Them For Around 100. I Have Both And Wouldnt Trade Them For Any 10Ft 7Wt regardless Of Price.

Yes, the Scott single hander ARC were great rods.
I have the 9 1/2 7wt and it's my favorite erie steelheading rod.
Some don't like the short little fighting butt,,,,but I like it as it doesn't catch the fly line.

There is a guy selling a 10' 7wt Sage Z-axis in the swap forum. Ive heard a lot of good thing about that rod.

I have a Gatti 10' #7 but on my very first trip to the Cat, as I was walking to the river, I stepped into a puddle and the bottom was all clay. I slipped and fell and when I got up I noticed that I had jammed the rod tip forward and now it was a 9' 9" fly rod. That really ticked me off. That happened about eight years ago and I was so mad I took the rod apart, put it into the tube, and when I got home stuck it into the basement and haven't looked at it since.

Gatti's are very light rods I should probably just buy a new tip for the damn rod for $75 and save the difference for gas money to Erie.

Thanks for the info about a rod for sale on the Swap forum.

ive Never Seen A Gatti In Person, But I Understand They ArE Very Light BlaNks. For 75 Bucks You May Be BetTer Off Sending It Back To Italy. Ive Used Sage Sp And Xp 1007 Rods, They Are very Nice, But I Prefer ThE Scots. I've Never Used A Z Axis, But I'm Sure Its Nice Also. Sorry For The WIerd Writing, I Can't Change The Caps On My Phone. By The Way, I Fish From The Catt To The Black, Including Many TRibs In between, Any Place You Would Want A 6 Wt, You'd Also Want A Shorter Rod, (At Least I Do).

Scott A3 10' 7 weight is a perfect one hand steelhead rod. I've used this rod for steelhead fishing since 2010 and I am very pleased. I would get a 7 weight over a 6 weight, you have an easier time casting heavy nymph rigs or large streamers on a sink tip. You can probably find a used A3, or get a new A4 shich is very similar.

I recently got some 10' 7wts to test out the blanks for a rod series and used to fish a 9' rod in Erie for steel. I'll never go back to a 9' rod again. The 10' mends line great andgets a greater range to high stick. I wouldn't look for a different size rod than you already are.

WB,

I know you were asking about Greys but I do recommend an Echo Ion 10' 7 wt. for steel. The price is around $169.00 and the rod does everything you need it to. I don't believe you need an expensive rod for steelhead fishing but that' just my opinoin.

Back