staff

J

JohnPowers

i used a staff when i was younger to get into dangerous places. i got prudent and didnt need the staff. now im older and need the staff for everyday use. young, prudent....old. biblical. so whats a good easily stored and deployed staff? look to be a wide array of prices but id let convenience and security drive the decision. thanks

I've had my Folstaff wading staff now for 13 seasons. Pricey? Maybe, but it'll last a lifetime. Its got all the battle scares to prove it.

I use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Hammers-Collapsible-Wading-Staff-Fishing/dp/B001C328YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368973720&sr=8-1&keywords=fishing+staff

It is cheap, it unfolds fast and it stores fast. I've never had a problem with it.

Dear John,

Folstaff

I just started using mine even though I bought it 2 years ago. It makes a great deal of difference and if you are a big galoot like me you'll quickly appreciate the quality of a 3/4" Folstaff.

There are others that are less expensive but they sort of remind me of the old International Scout commercials of the late 70's that ended "International Scout, Anything less is just a car."

In my case as far as wading staffs go, anything less is just a stick.

Whatever you decide get something. You'll likely fiddle around a bit until you settle on a carry position and the best way to deploy it but once you do you will appreciate having the extra leg.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

if my staff didn't fold, i'd never carry the stupid thing.

i spent extra on a folstaff over some other version. the bigger size seemed a wise choice.

if I carry a staff the water parts and no fish !!!

i have folstaff as well. having said tgat, the $40 ones from cabelas is almost identical. i would trust the cabelas as much as the folstaff.

jdaddy wrote:
the $40 ones from cabelas is almost identical.

Not where it counts. The Folstaff is heavier gauge aluminum, and it is also double shock corded. The shock cord is the "weak link" in these types of wading staffs. If one cord in the Folstaff fails, the other works independently - in other words, it still functions. This can make the difference between having a staff to use until you can get a repair/replacement, and doing without.

Folstaff will also completely recondition their staffs for $20. New shock cords, replace damaged sections, etc.

For @ $100, it's a sound investment. You're worth it.

I've used an old broomstick for over ten years. Just make sure the stick you pick is made of a solid wood as it will take a beating in rocky streams.

I've added a bicycle handle grip with lanyard/clip and the lower end is a rubber cap with screws to make a studded effect that improves traction on slimy rocks.
I'm lucky enough to still be pretty sprightly but I swear by a wading staff and use if early and often. Great for jetties in the salt too (I've always wondered why more jetty guys don't use a walking stick).

Heritage-Angler wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
the $40 ones from cabelas is almost identical.

Not where it counts. The Folstaff is heavier gauge aluminum, and it is also double shock corded. The shock cord is the "weak link" in these types of wading staffs. If one cord in the Folstaff fails, the other works independently - in other words, it still functions. This can make the difference between having a staff to use until you can get a repair/replacement, and doing without.

Folstaff will also completely recondition their staffs for $20. New shock cords, replace damaged sections, etc.

For @ $100, it's a sound investment. You're worth it.

interesting. i only checked for deflection and saw no difference.

you know me well and i certainly have no problem dropping coin on superior products. having said that, and having spent the last 5 days with guys who brag they have never spent more than $50 on a rod, i doubt they would invest $100 on a staff. thus i would rather see them spend $40 on a staff, which should tge cords fail, would still function as a staff until they got a free replacement from cabelas.

For me this was simple…. Folstaff. I bought it ten years ago and will never need to buy another one. I had it reconditioned last year, (new handle, cords and two sections), so I should be good for another 8 to 10.

jdaddy wrote:
having said that, and having spent the last 5 days with guys who brag they have never spent more than $50 on a rod, i doubt they would invest $100 on a staff.

i did.

when it comes to me not drowning, I'm willing to splurge.

gfen wrote:

when it comes to me not drowning, I'm willing to splurge.

but you swim so well

I just bought one of these Folstaff staffs. Last Saturday my cheap collapsible hiking staff collapsed when it was not supposed to and I almost went swimming. Not the first time this has happened, so I finally gave in and ordered from LL Bean. $99, free shipping, and it arrived in 2 days. I'm heading to Vermont tomorrow and plan to give it a workout over the next few days. It appears to be very high quality, and a bargain at that price.

For me I love my Simm's Wading Staff. Again a bit pricey at around $120-$140, but who can put a price on safety. I've used many other cheaper wading staffs, I was going thru at least 1 a season before I got my Simm's staff. I've been using it for 2-3 years now & love it.

I have had my wading staff for nine years. I don't think it is made anymore. It's a Hodgeman. I think it was about $60 at the time and has served me well with one exception. I lost the steel tip wading the Susquehanna River. A friend made me a new tip out of aluminum and I like it better than the original. I carry my staff on my person more during the early season but it's always in my gear bag in case I should need it.

Back