SA or RIO?

beerbyrnes

beerbyrnes

If both Scientific Angler and RIO are the same price what do you reach for? Tippet, Line, Leaders?

I made the switch to RIO a few years back.

I've found both to be pretty good. I do prefer Rio slightly. but will gladly take the SA if I need tippet and the shop at my destination does not carry Rio.

SA line Rio tippet. SA tippet blows.

I like Rio gold fly lines, 3w lines on 2w rods.

I use Rio tippet.

I like RIO for my tippet material both mono and fluro. I prefer Cortland flyline.

I had over under set at 9 on when someone would mention a different product than the OP asked. All those that took the under contact me for payment, all those that took over, you owe me money.

SBecker wrote:
I had over under set at 9 on when someone would mention a different product than the OP asked. All those that took the under contact me for payment, all those that took over, you owe me money.
Oh now your gambling? Does your mother know?

LOL :) Does your mother know you fish a green weenie?

You woulda gotten hosed on that one Becker. I would have thought a fair over/under on that would have been 2.5 responses.

SBecker wrote:
LOL :) Does your mother know you fish a green weenie?
Yes, but unlike someone else who shall remain nameless, I catch trout fishing it! :lol:

Thanks for the info.

rio fly lines always - cast well and have loops both ends.

tippet - i use a UK brand called Fulling Mill, rio is okay but too brittle in the lowest sizes like 7x 8x imho.

I like SA and Rio lines but the loops on the end of the Rio lines are bogus. They've cracked open on lines for both my brother and I. I just cut them off and use braided loops. I finally switched from Umpqua tippet to Rio as Umpqua has become hard to find locally.

Dave

i've never had that problem, have been using their lines for years. i have about 10 of their lines from spey to 4wt.

my slow sink held a 45" striper of 30lb+ until it spooled me on a flat.

are you storing them in the dark as you should ?

Rio lines and tippit, orvis leaders.

I use SA Lines & Rio Lines. I prefer SA lines, as in my experience they're more durable and I get more use out of them. That said, SA doesn't have a line with the same taper as Rio Gold and I love that as a fly line - so I continue to buy it. The closest thing I've found in terms of taper is SA VPT, which I plan on giving a shot this season.

For tippet I love Rio Fluroflex+. I've moved to that exclusively from Frog Hair Fluro.

Orvis Hydros FlyLine, I used to like SA a lot but I am really impressed with the Hydros and Hydros 3D lines. They are tangibly slicker than SA.

I like Seaguar leader material and Orvis Mirage tippet for fluorocarbon.

Back