Rod Size Poll

frohbego

frohbego

What size is your favorite trout rod?

9'.

I don't fish with it often, but find it to be most versatile and enjoyable to use.

I probably use an 8.5' more.

9'

I fish with it most wild brown trout situations.
Brookies are a different story.

My 9' took me a total of @ 24 hours to build (twice), but that's another story.

9 foot most of the time.

smaller waters- 8'3

larger 9'6

I use a 6' 3wt most of the time for the smaller creeks I fish. No need for long casts, so it works out well for me!

I have 2, a Sage 8.6 5wt and a GLoomis 4wt - if forced to pick one it would be the Sage

9ft for me based on what kinds of streams that I most often fish, I have both a 4 and 5 wt that see frequent use depending on wind, flys I'm tossing and the condition (water level & clarity) of the stream.

Just picked up a new 7 footer for small streams that I'm absolutely stoked to put to use :-D

Stopit Skilt...sure enough you will sell it soon. :-D

I picked 9' because it means I am on big water. I love big water...I love all water...can I vote for all sizes? I love the delicate touch of a small rod and by the same token I like along cast. I love water....water enriches my soul and the rods are tool that makes it happen.

My gosh, that post sounds like Wetnet.

My favorite rod is a 5' orvis bamboo that a friend of mine gave me who has since passed on, beleive me, on a steelworkers salary i would never have been able to own it. I fish with it once in awhile mostly small streams for brookies........It's not the most efficient but it is my favorite.

nimrod,

That was priceless! :lol:

8' 4wt is my only rod.
I sold off an 8'6" 4wt to pick it up.

Only have one myself - 8'6" 4wt

but i hope to pick up a 9' 6wt soon....then a 9' 5wt, then a 7'6" 3wt...then a 9'6" 8wt...then.......

sigh....

7'6" 4wt. Loomis GLX for small water.
10' 5wt. Loomis GLX for big water.

Extremely short - 5 and a half feet.

7'3" 2/3WT here.

Boyer

I own 3 rods.

8' Fenwick ff79

7'6" bamboo orvis wes jordan

8' mcfarland dry fly.

I'm inclined to believe that all you need for dry fly fishing in east is a 7'"6 and an 8'....Am looking for a Orvis limestone bamboo 8'6" for when a go out west

Never have enough rods! My wife says I'm rod poor. Favorite: 9ft 5 wt Sage .
2 5 wts
1 8 wt Loomis: 2nd favorite
1 9 wt Orvis
1 12 wt TFO
plus a few oldies that are retired
2 lines for each 1 floating wf, and 1 sink tip wf.
I think that my rod thinking is tied to my salt water background. Specalty rods for fish and situations. The old rule of thumb was: when you go to the Keys it's 7 rods per man, including a fly rod. When I boat fish its 4 rods per man to cover all the situations.Now if the weather would just cooperate.

MY ROD'S NOT REAL BIG BUT IT'S PURDY.

Back