redington cpx guide jacket vs simms windstopper

jayL

jayL

I would like a lightweight wind proof jacket, and have an opportunity to buy either one of these on closeout. The redington is less than half the price of the simms, and seems to be the obvious choice. Aside from the name, does the simms have any other reason behind the extra cost? The jackets appear to be functionally similar, but I haven't handled either of them.

I have a redington stratus II jacket. It's very light weight an holds up well even in the most stout wind and the driving rain. I know it's not the guide jacket, but I'm sure the craftsmanship is the same. I do love Simms but some of there products are just outrageously priced.Just my .02$

Hey Phish_ON

I used to own one of those...where did you get yours?

Mcwillja- I purchased it offs you, a few months ago. It's a killer jacket!

http://www.stillwaterflyshop.com/estore/details/6221/15869

I have that and love it. I use it for an everyday coat and is why I spent the money on it.

Ya. The redington is much cheaper, and appears to be the same. Just want to confirm that with anyone that has experience with both.

if your just looking for a functional windstopping jacket there may be a couple more brands that interest you. These won't necessarily be fishing brands but they will be quality outdoor brands that may be able to beat the price of the redington/simms windstopper jacket.

Look at Marmot, Mammut, Polartec, North Face.....any company that makes hiking/climbing/backcountry ski apparrel has many styles of windproof/waterproof jackets that have the same functionality of the redington and simms

Check out online retailers like Backcountry.com or SteepandCheap.com look for the bargain bins or closeout sales

I can tell you Backcountry.com has great customer service and return policies.

Big fan of Overstock dot com

The redington, at just under 40 bucks, wins.

It's listed under closeouts at www.mrfc.com.

I think you just helped my wife find me a birthday present!

Which color did you get Jay?

Thanks for the link Jay, gunna pick me up one of those Simms day packs, can't beat that price.

No problem guys. I got the slate jacket. Was gonna go pick it up, but doubt the fishing will be worth it in ennis this time if year. Too windy.

Phish_On wrote:
Mcwillja- I purchased it offs you, a few months ago. It's a killer jacket!

I know I was just messing. I'm just glad you like it. Maybe you can sell it back to me, I sorta miss it.

Jason

Come on Jay, you live in Bozeman for God's sake!!!...:)

Exactly. It ain't as cheap as the rest of the state, so I gotta save where I can!

The jacket arrived last night. Appears to be well made, and should stand up to weather.

Wore it today in mid 20 temps and was comfortable.

Highly water resistant.

Basically, I got it in hopes that I can wear it instead of my wading jacket for all but the worst weather. This seems like it'll buy me a few minutes to get to my rain gear if I get surprised.

The wind is relentless here, and its annoying to wear rain gear all day for wind protection.

Edit: just did onpurpulous water spill test. I guess it could soak through eventually, but the damn thing looks pretty waterproof to me.

Suppose to be low 30's Sunday when I'm goin out, an I have the utmost trust in my redington stratus II. Bring on the wind an snow! Good to hear you got your jacket so quick. I ordered a Simms daypack the day you put the link up. So hopefully I get my pack early next week!

Got my Cpx guide jacket today. Very nice jacket. Can't wait to try it on the stream.

Back