rain Jacket recommendations

giantsjim

giantsjim

Can you recommend a good brand or style of FF rain jacket for under $100? May make the Jam this year and I heard rain is obligatory. Actually, I just need a good one for this year. Thanks.

I got the Bean Emerger II. The price is right, and it's a great jacket. Since it's bean, it's guaranteed for life.

$40. No insulation, so not good for winter, but a very good wading/rain jacket for spring/summer. I'm of the opinion that you can't find a good wading jacket that will be good for both summer and winter. This one's light and packable, and comfortable. Draw strings in all the right places. Zippered (but not waterproof) pockets. No interior liner, so if you do wade over it, the water comes right out.

Breathability has been fine so far, but only tested it up to temps of 75 so far. Waterproofness is great, water beads right up.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3034852

Second the Bean Emerger II

Jay, How would you describe the weight (physical weight & fabric weight)?

Light. Damn near packable.

It will, most likely, fit into a tech pack?

Yeah, assuming you don't have it full of gear.

It's the jacket I wore as an outer layer at BFC. I doubt you got a good look at it, though.

Heritage Ed can chime in with some specifics on the jacket, I am sure.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63711?page=emerger-ii-wading-jacket

I know, I can't see #OOPS# when I have my sunglasses on.

I think it's time for contacts, I've been fighting it, but I don't want prescription sunglasses....

Contacts are clearly the best decision, imo. I have worn them for a few years, and they have no negative impacts on my life. I carry backup glasses in the car, so in the rare event of a torn lens or whatever, I am fine.

Except you gotta touch your eyeballs. Grody.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36449?feat=63711-ppxs&dds=y

This another good product. A little more $$$ but in my opinion better with the gortex

I use the Cabela's Dry Plus jacket

Cabela's Dry Plus

I wear it all winter as the outer layer also, even wore it once last year to run the snowblower in one of our wonderful wintry mix storms like we are getting today.

Thanks, guys. All look like good options. Which one is best for ice storms? Just kidding. See a few days in the 40's coming soon. Time to get out.

Just a thought, I like the jackets they're talking about for winter/early spring. i.e. cooler weather. They're a bit heavier material. I need one for those situations, I just use the shell of an old Columbia jacket with lots of layers underneath. I am considering picking something up at the fly fishing show if I can find it.

The one I linked would probably be more packable and a better summer time thing. It packs up to a tiny thing, I can fit easily in any small pack you may carry. Throw it just in case that summertime thunderstorm rolls up.

Like I said, I don't think you can get a jacket that fits both situations. Determine what time of year your greatest use will be, go for that first.

I bought the cheapest jacket I could find at Somerset last year, a Redington rubberized affair. Its not packable, its not breathable, and its not light, but it was $35.

I've been using it in winter, too. I just layer under it. So far, so good.

I will be hitting the VF show in early March and likely grab something there. Otherwise on line. Thx.

Oh, and for spring and summer fishing with surprise rainstorms.. I carried a one-use, disposable poncho in my bag for just that purposes. Unless I expected to get rain, anything else was just going to irk me.

Back