Orvis BBS ?

ratgunner

ratgunner

Which size for an 8.5' 5wt ? I'm not sure if I would get the 2 or the 3. How much backing with a 5 wt line on these. Sorry the Orvis site wasn't much help.

I have a BBS 3 loaded with a 5wt, not sure how much backing though.

Thanks. Does it balance well with your 5 ? How do you like the reel ?

haven't used it yet! it's going on a 5 wt mcfarland S-glass I'm building.
being an orvis reel, I'm sure it will do just fine, I've been using various orvis reels for years, never had any problems.

I have the BBS 2, bought it for a 4 wt, and picked up an extra spool for a spare 5 wt line. With the 5 weight line, it holds almost no backing.
This causes a few potential problems: IF you want to fish somewhere, such as the Delaware, where it is not uncommon for a fish to take you into your backing, you have almost none to play with. NOT Good! If you aren't fishing in places similar to that, like me, not too big of a deal.

What causes me problems: The arbor is so small and with barely any backing the fly line needs to be stretched before using or the end result is not good. Very difficult to be on top of your game if you don't!

I deal with it, as it is just my backup, and I rarely use it. I would highly recommend a BBS 3, which helps with both these problems. I really like the battenkill, if you look at previous threads on this site, they come highly recommended.

Edit: Just Got My BBS 2. With a 5wt line, it has 15 feet of backing...lol

Rat
Here you go
http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/0608_BKBarstock.pdf

I would politely disagree with Orvis on their chart. TCO put about 75 on my spool for me and they couldn't even reel in the entire line and they had to cut it down twice to get it right. 15 ft wasn't up to me!

allan_s wrote:
I would politely disagree with Orvis on their chart. TCO put about 75 on my spool for me and they couldn't even reel in the entire line and they had to cut it down twice to get it right. 15 ft wasn't up to me!

I agree that the BBsII is too small for a 5wt line. On the other hand, he BBSIII is just about perfect for 5 &6wts.

However, I'm not sure backing capacity is a big deal on trout reels like these. If you can get 50yds of backing on the reel with your line, you are not realistacally going to be handicapped. Likewise, cutting 15-20 feet off the back of your fly line is not a handicap either. Are you really ever casting that far in a fishing situation?

Kev

Kev - I couldn't agree with you more. In my first post, I mentioned that backing really isn't a big deal with this reel. The only problem I run into with it, is that I have to stretch the line. That is because I only use it every once in a while. I NEVER cast that far on a stream!

Thanks for the link beadhead.

Heres another chart
http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=3611

got the bbs 1 i thing the smallest one it was like a 2-3-4. Drag broke but never gonna have it fixed.

I have a BBS II. Using Orvis Easy Mend 5 wt line I get about 50 yards of backing. I never actually measured the backing, but its roughly half a 100 yard spool.

I guess if I get one it'll be the 3. I found a good deal on them,but I need to call them to see what's left in stock. Thanks.

For 5 wt I would go with the 3. I bought my 2 for a 4 wt, later had it on a 3 wt but needed it for a 5 wt. I would prefer more backing for the occasional bigger river trip.

I think you will find that a BBS 3 will balance a lot nicer on most 5 wt outfits than a BBS 2 would. I think most 5 weights would be a little tip heavy with BBS 2 reel. Be careful with the manufacturer's backing charts. I always error on the conservative side (when loading backing) to make sure there is plenty of room for your fly line even if it is loaded a little lopsided on the reel (which happens a lot of the time).

Orvis backing chart says 125 yards of 20 lb. dacron backing for a BBS 3 with 5 wt line. like I said, I would probably only put 100 yards on to make sure that there is plenty of clearance, and 100 yards of backing is more than enough for a 5 wt.

Thanks I'll do that.

Well after all that....I ended up with a Ross.

Back