Orvis: Green Mountain : Rocky Mountain : Superfine

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

I have an old Orvis rod that I can't tell what it is. It might be my favorite rod. It looks a lot like a Superfine.

Does anyone know the difference between these three rods? would a green mountain cast similarly?

whats a good used price for these rods?

Thanks!

TimRobinsin,

The blanks are the same for those three series. Only difference is number of guides, quality of handle and reel seat.

Also early Clearwaters replaced Green Mountain and Silver Labels are a rename of Rocky Mountain.

Green Mountains go for $50-$75, Clearwaters go for $50-$150, Rocky Mountains/Silver Labels go for $75-$250, Superfines go for $90-$400.

What is the length and weight of the rod you have?

shortrod wrote:
TimRobinsin,

The blanks are the same for those three series. Only difference is number of guides, quality of handle and reel seat.

You have a source for that questionable info?

it's a 7'9" 5wt Green Mountain.

I have a 7'6" Orvis rod that I was told is a rocky mountain but it looks a lot like a superfine. the blank and wrappings look just like a superfine and the handle is all cork, even the reel seat is cork. it has a down locking reel seat.

I bought it from a guy who said it was a Rocky Mountain.

My point is that when I first bought the rod I hated it and threw it in the truck as a "just in case/after work-sometimes during work" rod. Unfortunately that is the only time I get to fish much anymore. Fortunately I have discovered that I can fish ANYTHING! with this rod and I'd like to acquire more of them. For how I cast now it really fits well.

thanks for the info!

The Superfine series of rods has always been manufactured in the United States in our rod shop in Manchester, Vermont ( the same can not always be said about the lower end imported models) and you can take a public rod shop tour where we incur the large expense of designing, manufacturing and stocking blanks for all of the rods that we manufacture, currently 90 different models, lengths and weights.

A blunder as you put it in rod design would be to use the same blank for different rod series. Orvis attempted this with the Helios and Hydros and the Hydros series has been discontinued.

Best deal in town were the hydros line. @$500 for a $800 rod both cast the same just a diffent real seat.
Yes the clearwater 585 were the same as the supperfine 585

Orvis downingtown - do you have any info regarding these rods?

I wonder if some of the difference of opinion here might not have something to do with the age of the rods (or the series of rods) in question and what point in time Orvis began to offshore source rods. I worked in an Orvis shop from 1993-95 and I'm all but certain we were told that that the Green Mountain and Superfine rods were made on the same blanks and that the difference was in the hardware, grips and blank finishing. And maybe the terms of the guarantee.

That's what I recall anyway...

afishinado,

You highlighted my argument for why it would not make sense for Orvis to use different blanks for the Green Mt, Rocky Mt and original Superfine series of rods. You then described the current Orvis rod offerings and where they are manufactured. How is this relevant to the Green Mt., Rocky Mt., and original Superfine rods?

Was you purpose to show that Orvis would in fact design different blanks for different series? If so, I still don't see the relevance to the OP's question or even to my response to OrvisDowningtown.

You pointed out that:

RLeep2,

Yes, I forgot about the guarantee, thanks. The Green Mt. rods had no guarantee. I think the Rocky Mt. rods had the same 25 year guarantee.

I have a 9' 5 weight rocky mt rod from the early '90's. It came with the 25 year guarantee - and I believe the price then was under $200. Nice rod that I've used for all of my trips out west. Even used it up erie and caught a few steelies on it with no problem

First, let me just say I am a Sage fan. I have several, in different sizes and wt's and I love them all. I have never been able to "over-power any of them. Not that casting is all about power but when you really have to stick it, nothing does it better....IMHO.

Second, when I am not on bigger water, and I am only casting 30-50' or less I love these Orvis rod's! I can't believe how deadly accurate you can be and how delicate!

The reason I hated them at first was because I was used to stiffer, "fast"-er action sages. My casting has dramatically changed. when I first started fly fishing my tendency was to overpower the rod to make up for lack of rhythm and finese.

much like a golf swing, that changed when I learned to work with the rod (read as, come to COMPLETE and firm stop on back cast). Seriously, for me, when Sasquatch's dad watched me cast and told me what I was doing and how to fix it, it unlocked so much in my cast.

now to the rod, with that dramatic change to my cast I was able to cast these "slower", full action rods and I LOVE them!

so that being said, yes I asked this question to see if there was a cheaper way for me to get more of these rods (i.e. buy green mountains instead of the more expensive superfines). I will find out when my green mountain gets to my door soon. in the mean time I will keep my eyes peeled for more of them.

short rod -

the rod I have now (the one that started this whole thing) was sold to me as a rocky mtn. I was told by the former owner that the reel seat broke so he put the cap of another rod on the bottom. I measured the rod to 7'6". it has aluminum looking threads for the reel lock. unfortunately this rod was also one of my great reminders to why you never put a rod on the roof of your car, EVER. it fell off, along with the BBS III (made in england) that my good friend gave me. much to my dismay/joy I heard the rod when it fell and went back for it in time to save it from an oncoming car. unfortunately it suffered severe damage to the reel seat and the end reel cap was lost. The graphite broke in the reel seat but I don't know if it went up the handle because the rod has been casting fine since the accident last fall. I have since used wire ties to fix it and it goes everywhere with me in my truck.

I know that was long but all that to say that over the last few months I realized how much I love this rod and I figure at the prices they go for, a few more wouldn't hurt!

here's hoping I find an affordable CFO for one!

thanks for your help!

Attachments

• rocky mtn1 copy.jpg
    rocky mtn1 copy.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 12
  • rocky mtn2 copy.jpg
    rocky mtn2 copy.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 11
  • rocky mtn3 copy.jpg
    rocky mtn3 copy.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 13
  • rocky mtn4 copy.jpg
    rocky mtn4 copy.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 13
shortrod wrote:
afishinado,

You highlighted my argument for why it would not make sense for Orvis to use different blanks for the Green Mt, Rocky Mt and original Superfine series of rods. You then described the current Orvis rod offerings and where they are manufactured. How is this relevant to the Green Mt., Rocky Mt., and original Superfine rods?

Was you purpose to show that Orvis would in fact design different blanks for different series? If so, I still don't see the relevance to the OP's question or even to my response to OrvisDowningtown.

You pointed out that:

TimRobinson,

If you have to break a rod, you could not find a better place to break it.

Your rod is either an "Orvis Graphite" or an early Superfine. There is no difference between those two classifications other than the word Superfine. It predates (Mid 70's to Mid 80's) the Green Mt. and Rocky Mt rods. All Rocky Mountain rods had blue wraps, your rod has red wraps. I am fairly sure it is the 7' 6" 6wt "Trout" model which is fairly rare. However the 8' 6wt "Trout" model is common and should be very close to your rod.

If you would like to try any of my rods to see if you like them I have:

6' 6" 2wt "One Ounce"
6' 6" 4wt "Flea"
7' 0' 5wt "Otter"
7' 6" 4wt "Brook Trout" (RM)
7' 9" 2wt "Ultra Fine"
7' 9" 5wt "Far and Fine"
8' 0" 6wt "Trout" (RM)
8' 3" 7wt "All Arounder"
8' 6" 2wt "Western 2"
8' 6" 5wt "Henrys Fork" (CW)
9' 6" 6wt "Osprey"
9' 6" 8wt "?"

TimRobinsin wrote:
Seriously, for me, when Sasquatch's dad watched me cast and told me what I was doing and how to fix it, it unlocked so much in my cast.

This statement is amazing to me. How is it that a man who fishes maybe 15 times a year and only picked up the sport of fly fishing when he was in his early 50s cast like he does!? I'm certain my preference for slower action rods, particularly glass, comes from my dad's casting influence.

I appreciated the post showing which Orvis rods are manufactured in the US and which ones are manufactured over seas. I'm becoming more concerned about buying US, and an Orvis is a rod that I've desired for quite some time. I know now which rods I'll be looking at.

I agree with you Andy, I also have become more concerned with where I buy stuff. If I can buy US I will, especially if there is a warranty or something backing it.

afish,

I am sorry that you "grow tired" of explaining to people that Orvis no longer has different trim levels with the same blanks. I am sorry that Orvis uses the same name on completely different rod series.

The fact is that Orvis produced those same rods for somewhere around 30 years. At first they were just "Orvis Graphite" then they were given the "Superfine" name. Then Orvis created the Green Mountain and Rocky Mountain series that used the same blanks but different hardware. Then they replaced the Green Mountain series with the Clearwater series and renamed the Rocky Mountain series the Silver Label series. Then they stopped making the original blanks the Clearwater and Superfine names lived on but with completely separate and different blanks.

It was obvious to me that the OP was referencing the original Superfine rods because he said that it "looked like a Superfine". The blanks on these rod were un-sanded all of later Superfine blanks are sanded smooth.

When those of us not still wet behind the ears talk of the Superfine rods we mean the original rods that were made for around 30 years not the subsequent pretenders produced since.

Sas found your info on current production useful, so kudos for that.

Back