littlejuniata

littlejuniata

Orvis TLS PowerMatrix 2 piece

$395.00

another hundred for a distance tip

a hundred for a wetfly tip

I can change the lengths of the rod with different tips

only need one reel for basically "4" or "5" different rods

If I was younger I would start an aftermarket business,making tips for graphite rods

you could start the price point for your new rod wherever you like

or add the tips whenever you like

That's an interesting concept. Would you carry the other tips with you ON the stream, or just keep them in the car. I see the advantage of a 2 piece in the case with the change in action. You'll have to let us know how it works out for ya.

This is definitely where the old school meets the new. :lol: Multi tips is a boo thing, and never caught on for graphite.

While I'm not too well versed in the science of graphite rods (I just know that the cost/performance ratio is highest with them), I have often been curious about whether mixing and matching tip sections makes a difference.

Does it matter if you're using a tip from a different blank? I can see the benefit, but will using a third party tip hurt performance? Any rod builders care to chime in?

you can actually play a little with it on your own, guys would buy graphite tips and then by inserting solid graphite pins within the tip section they could alter the action, but designing and rolling the blank would be the way to go

I really can't see a problem marrying various tips with any graphite made by any company or even marrying graphite to bamboo

the multi action tip availability could easily be done by any commercial rod company

or any rod builder could offer the same

if ya want to play with this concept, buy an old bamboo or glass or graphite butt section and try it, if it is bamboo just heat the ferrule pull it off and stick the bamboo butt into the graphite tip (may need shims? tape?)

Interesting idea LJ. I agree that the best way would be to design the blank to fit multiple tips. Many times I wish could stretch my 9' rod to 10' for nymphing, or cut it down to 8' or less in tight areas.

I have a March Brown 7' pack rod (7-piece) that converts to a 6 footer. The tip remains the same, to convert it you leave off the 2nd section (just above the grip) to shorten it. It works well.

Jay wrote:
"While I'm not too well versed in the science of graphite rods (I just know that the cost/performance ratio is highest with them), I have often been curious about whether mixing and matching tip sections makes a difference.

Does it matter if you're using a tip from a different blank? I can see the benefit, but will using a third party tip hurt performance? Any rod builders care to chime in?"

Jay, it's not likely that you can mix or match tips from different rods since nearly all rods have different tapers and the rod sections wouldn't likely fit together. As LJ mentioned, you could make some sort of adapter, but I would guess it would cause the rod to have a dead spot on it.

If you could change tips though, the rod action would likely change. Whether it would "hurt" or help performance would be up to the caster, and what type of action and performance they are looking for.

Interesting idea though.

FWIW, I know at least one maker does offer different tips for their graphite rods.

One of the Echo line includes a softer and a faster tip with their rods. I like the idea, but I imagine that I wouldn't really take advantage of it, and would just try to adapt to one tip and never use the other.

I like it because you could get a really nifty butt section with top quality state of art components then just change actions by changing tips

like the ladys the butt is what matters

smiley icon

Ok there I just did it, took a butt section from a South Bend 290, pulled the ferrule, added a fiberglass tip from two piece glass blank, first impression is that the rod would throw a line a mile, it is definitely a fast rod.

cost to me was the cost of one wooden match

the tip section has no guides or I would take it outside and try it

but first impression is of definite fast 5 6 line weight rod with a bamboo butt section

I can't be positive that the blank is glass but it is brown which makes me think it is, further investigation needed

butt you would have the beauty of a bamboo butt section with the action of graphite

hey this is fun, the tip of my two piece T&T graphite would fit with just a hair of trim of the 290 butt (ain't gonna do that) but the top three sections of a 4 piece graphite fits nicely, making a slow wetfly/nymph rod with the durability of plastic and the beauty of a bamboo butt section

more fun

just married a T&T Enthusiast two piece butt to a Fenwick 8 1/2 foot boron tip, perfect fit and interesting action.

get your poles out and try some switching around

http://www.housatonicrods.com/htroutrd.html

4 tips........

Hope you are micing the ferrule's any gap at either end could snap the rod, then you would be out a tip or butt section.

good point, but I just feel the junction with my fingers, you can feel even the slightest wobble, just pinch between your thumb and your forefinger.

changing the tip section only on some rods wouldn't do it , they have there point of starting to bend below the tip and some start to bend deeper yet into the rod , there for changing mid sections on them would change the action

LJ, you sound like Dr Fankenstein!!
it's alive!!!!

you guys must play with matchsticks,

do ya have a fly rod?

So far I have found 6 tips that will marry to a 290 (with the ferrule removed) all I need to do is swab a little epoxy in the ferrule of some of the tips, both glass and graphite tips make into great feeling rods. Only spent about an hour, try it you may learn stuff
Other graphite, boron tips marry very well with the spigot type ferrules on other graphite butts, if the butt is a tip over ferrule many tips will fit

PS The idea is to change the action

I hope you don't have any fly fishing relatives, LJ.

Can you imagine? Set to inherit thosands of dollars of fly rods, and before you get em, the guy glues them all together out of order!? :lol:

hey I like to mess with stuff

even people

need any silk gut or

My fishing stuff is at least moderately organized

computer stuff is everywhere

Anyone need a minty 7 foot Heddon or a 12 foot bamboo Salmon rod

I even have a 20 foot telescoping glass rod, would be great for nymphing, no guides on it but it would be perfect for high sticking

One of the best casting gods I have I paid 20 bucks for, 9 ft 5 wt Lew Childre, that rod will actually pull line from a fly reel with a good forward cast, never saw that before, could be the single foot fujis?

All I have to say is that if you mixing rod sections as described in this thread you should make sure that you know what the hell you are doing. I would never recommend simply mixng and matching parts of graphite rods unless the parts were explicitly built to be interchangable by the manufacturer. If the rods are junk or you just don't care... ....go for it. Otherwise, proceed with caution.

Kev

I need paint, preferably spray paint that is the color of bamboo, anyone sell it?

Back