one weight

skiltonian

skiltonian

Thinking of building a one weight - probably going to go with the following:
orvis trout bum blank - $230
ross evolution - $275
sage quiet taper - $65

All said and done I'm probably at $700.

Any ideas to get cost down - know of cheaper one weight blank, smallest, cheapest reel (click / pawl preferred)

Thanks,

Skiltonian

The new Orvis Battenkill BBS1 is made for 1wt lines. At $89 from Cabela's it's worth it. Great reel.

here's a blank for $100.
http://www.dancraftent.com/detail/index.cfm?nPID=207

I use this reel on my 2 wt. I'm sure it would be great on a 1 wt. as well.

link

Cheap too at $50.

Skill,

Where can you buy an Orvis blank to build?

While I have never built on a Dancraft blank, it is almost universal that builders rave about their blanks. Their line is shded more towards the faster taper though, and the Trout Bum is more of a full flex slooooow rod. Sal knows best.

I love rod building, but the only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot test cast the rod until you build it. Too late then. I guess that's what ebay's for........

I just built the Dan Craft 7' 2pc 1 wt Sig III blank this past year for a friend. Wonderful stick......though I don't like real light rods. Dan Craft blanks are first class all the way around. My favorite blanks out their...especially the Sig III and V series.

mudhole has orvis blank now - 0 gravities, t3s and bums

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Orvis

thanks for the ideas, its appreciated.

The Sig III is definitely a bit quicker than my trout bum, but I would still call it a moderate action. I actually prefer the Sig III to the trout bum.

Very interesting that Orvis is now offering their blanks for sale. Thats a first in recent memory.

That 6'6" 2wt blank looks better to me an $100 Cheaper.
I like dan craft light wieghts too. Nice casting blanks.
Crb

The reel is definitely the easiest part to shave the costs down. I'd look into any number of options below 100 or 150 before spending that much.

Why do you need a one weight?

wetnet wrote:
Why do you need a one weight?

Wet,

You sound like my wife there....Only she would say Why do you need another flyrod...the weight doesn't come into the conversation.

Think of fly rods as jewelry for men. Women like bling on their fingers, ears, necks, etc...We like to carry ours around in our hand along a river in the hopes that we get to put a bend in it after puting it to a satisfactory test of its fly delivery abilities.

A one weight is not everyday jewelry but it is "fun to wear" on occassion...that is reason enough to build one or buy one for that matter.

Not to pile on Wetnet, but none of us NEED more rods........

I built a nice rod for my wife. We went to the Orvis store near our house, and she tried one of the Orvis Trout Bum rods, and decided a full flex rod was the best for her. I promised to make a rod like that for her, so I took a chance and ordered a Pac Bay Tradition rod and built it to her specs. I bought the Pac Bay blank for around $40. I made a smaller cork grip for her, and used candy apple red thread with metallic gold trim. It turned out well.

In my hand it was an equal to the action of Trout Bum I cast at the Orvis store, and my workmanship was better, IMHO! I’ve seen many flaws in Orvis rods. Thread wraps of different length on the same guide, uneven wraps, spaces between wraps or wraps overlapping, and as bad as different guide spacing on identical rods in the rack. Most people would not have noticed, but once you begin building, you begin to notice details like that. I think that’s inexcusable workmanship for a $300 up to a $700 rod! Not to just pick on Orvis, some of the other high-end rod companies should also be ashamed.

Anyhow, I’ve taken her rod out myself and it is fun to use. I like it because I can actually make my back cast, light up a smoke, take two puffs, and still have time to make the forward stroke. :-D

IMO there are many decent slow and moderate action rods and rod blanks out there for a modest price. Unfortunately, if a faster rod, made from higher modulus graphite is what you’re looking for, the selection is slimmer and a lot more expensive for both finished rods and blanks.

FYI - the links below are to the Pac Bay vs. the Trout Bum blanks. If you don’t like the rod there’s always e-bay, or the PAFF swap section, or you can PM Jack, he’s always looking for a bargain, although he may try to pay you in recycled flies and used thingamabobbers…be careful! Good luck Skil.

Pac Bay Tradition

Orvis Trout Bum

No young man I am not new! I just don't see the purpose in it taking longer to land a fish by lightening the gear. NO I don't think I need a Shark rod to land a good sized trout, I just do not like to over play a fish. Yes there could be one or 2 instances where a one weight would not be over kill. They are called creek chubs and shinners. If you are using your one weight to catch bait fish that answers the question as to why you'd want a one weight.

As far as toys, they are what they are. Buy them, build them, use them, enjoy them. That I understand. That's whay I bought my husband not one but 2 Belgium Brownings. One he's using today on a bird hunt with his friends.

Toys. You got it. You only live once, and if casting a one weight makes you smile, it's always worth it. I don't use light rods because wind has screwed me on a few trips, but a 1wt does sound tempting.

There are many small stream situations where a 1wt would be fun and wouldn't be that detrimental to the wellbeing of the fish. Personally, I like using real light gear on ATWs where the fish are doomed anyway. I've found that I can't get the long casts, nor am I willing to risk being outgunned on a good wild trout stream that I've traveled to.

:)

The question was why do you need a one weight? I think any man that custom makes a rod for his honey is all good in my book! It's not how many rods you own, it's why you would what to fish a one weight? Any good reason is a good one. I just never thought of going that light for the reasons I stated. Maybe I'll want one too after hearing from people that fish them. Doubtful but you never know. Just putting it out there.

First of all take a look at this site which focuses on ultralight (000 to 3wt) fly gear. http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/directory
They have current threads on reels, blanks, lines, etc.. It will be worth your time to take a look.

You say click pawl for reel but specified the evolution which is a more expensive disk drag system so you can definitely save on the reel. BassPro has a couple of inexpensive ones. The site I listed above has a thread on just lightweight reels and their costs.

Also, Sierra Trading Post still has closeout Ross Rhythms size 0 on sale for 132.95. Plus you can look up coupons for further discounts and/or free shipping. If you're not ready to pull the trigger on the purchase today just sign up on their site and they'll notify you when coupons/discounts are available. Those discounts happen weekly.

The Rhythm has essentially the same disc drag system as the Evolution but is about 1/2 oz heavier. I have both in size 0 and like them a lot. I use the Rhythm on my 7' 1wt. I use the Evolution on my 6.5' and smaller ultralight rods that are physically lighter and balance better with a lighter reel.

Good luck!

Thank you. Maybe an answer to the question. I'll check it out.

wetnet wrote:
The question was why do you need a one weight?

For the same reason that I feel a need to drive upwards of 6 hours to annoy some cold blooded pea brained animals. The same reason I have a mayfly drawn on my arm. The same reason I spent more on fly fishing gear than I did on keeping my car running well. It's just what we do.

This is not a subject for logic and reason!

Back