Old Auto Wind Reels

CaptMatt

CaptMatt

I have an old auto wind reel and I can’t seem to grasp how they work. This one is old and in the box, I found it in an old attic. When I take line out and hit the switch it clumsily brings the line back in but I can’t see it being strong enough to land a decent fish. What’s up with these things?

I don't think the auto-wind is for bringing in the fish, just the line. There is a reason you don't see them anymore.

I see. It didnt make sense that it could do that. I guess they just used to line them in? Awwww the good old days.

I find myself often turning my rod upside-down and winding in a lot of line, particularly fishing the Yough when you might try to maintain a drift for a distance downstream. I would like an automatic feature (in addition to the ability to manually wind) for these situations. Then again, in considering the "glamping" thread, maybe I should just have a Mr. Belvedere at my side to whom I can hand my rod for winding while I light another smoke.

Then again, in considering the "glamping" thread, maybe I should just have a Mr. Belvedere at my side to whom I can hand my rod for winding while I light another smoke.

Uh Jack? I believe he's supposed to light that for you too.

Rolf wrote:
Then again, in considering the "glamping" thread, maybe I should just have a Mr. Belvedere at my side to whom I can hand my rod for winding while I light another smoke.

Uh Jack? I believe he's supposed to light that for you too.

Whaddaya think I'm lazy?

I had an old Perrine that I used to wind up and put on the floor in front of our Springer Spaniel. Hit the lever and the thing would jitterbug across the floor and the dog would point it.

Beyond that, i never saw much use for automatic reels.

Jack..

I have to ask:

Why do you turn your rod upside down to retrieve excess line?

RLeeP wrote:
Jack..
I have to ask:

Why do you turn your rod upside down to retrieve excess line?

I find it easier to make sure that if rewinds evenly instead of being all on one side of the reel. I usually end the day by casting and feeding out as much line as I have used and rewinding it in the same manner. Must have been toilet trained incorrectly.

>>I find it easier to make sure that if rewinds evenly instead of being all on one side of the reel. I usually end the day by casting and feeding out as much line as I have used and rewinding it in the same manner. Must have been toilet trained incorrectly.>>

Well, that's perfectly logical.

I had to ask because for a moment, I was worried you had taken to fishing while standing on your head...:)

Perrrine autos,glass rods,prams and bluegills were a natural match.The autos worked fine for what they were designed for but too heavy for graphites and too crude for bamboo.
In a small boat they were a precursor of stripping baskets.lol

I still have, 3 old autos from "days of yore' " when Bluegill and Crappie fishing. What's been said, aobe, is true..............., "The auto feature is for line pick up only", more or less. But, I can also remember a time when I'd "over wind" mine, stripping off line and then hook a Bluegill or Crappie, about the size of my palm. "Whizzzzzzzzzzzzzz", went the levered spring, when I'd hit the release bar on the front of the reel and then some poor, little, Bluegill would have half his face forcibly strained through the tip guide of my fly rod!
You can still find near-new autos on Ebay for less than $25.00, freight included. However, what's scary, is there is an Italian reel manufacture, that is currently turning out an "all graphite aunto/manual reel" that has a nifty price tag of nearly $175.00!?! Someone, out there, probably knows the name, of the reel I'm talking about, but sorry it slips my feeble mind at the moment.
The only time I've seen an actual and logical use, for these old sewing machines, is when I've witnessed handicap fisherman using them, that do not have the physical ability to handle a conventional set up.
And, sorry to inform you, Jack M. but if you turn an old automatic, upside down and press the lever they won't shoot the line back out for you.................

Dear flybinder,

I think that reel you are thinking of is a Vivarelli. Dan Bailey's sells them and I've actually heard some people speak very highly of them on other forums.

http://www.vivarellifranco.com/uk/chi.htm

http://www.dan-bailey.com/reels_vivarelli.htm

Unlike the Perrine's, Shakespeare's, South Bend's, and Heddon's of yore these Vivarelli's actually have a working drag in addition to the automatic line retrieve.

The old automatics were useful for breaking the tip of your fly rod when you accidentally hit the lever and retrieved a fish. I have an old Shakespeare that was my Dad's that will do a pretty good job of field dressing a small trout if your rod tip is up to the task. :-D

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back