news from bean

J

jersey_guy

i stopped over at llbean in marlton this morning to buy some gifts. i met up with some of the older fly guys that work there and they let me know about the rods that are on sale. they have the double l and the orion on sale now for about 15% off, but he told me to wait until jan. bc they plan on marking them down to 50-65% off. they are made on loomis blanks.
i think it'll be nice for a post christmas present!

mark

wow,thanks for the good news.my main trout rod and reel are 5wt bean.i've been thinking of going that route with a four weight.thanks

BTW,do you know who makes the travel rod blanks.i really like them.

yea they told me that the travel rods and the stream lite were made off shore. i tried them in the store and i really liked them. they were light in the hand, nice action and a good price. but if i can get my hands on a loomis/bean rod for half off, ill be in good shape. they also started up a fly tying section.

mark

I'm surprised to see a fly tying section starting up. When I worked for Bean in Virginia, we (the FFing staff) thought it would be a good idea to include fly tying because the Orivs shop, less than 1 mile down the road, had fly tying. Another employee suggested that the $$$ they could get per sq ft just didn't justify the space to hold tying stuff. However, tying does build loyalty. I think anyone can buy a rod and never be seen again. However getting budding flyfishermen tying and coming back for materials and instruction forms a better relationship. If they have the staff to handle it, it's great. If not, it's like Wally World with dubbing.
I wonder if all the other FFing depts. are getting tying stuff?

We have some stuff at the Center Valley store. Good quality stuff, but not much of it. We've been bugging them to expand the fly fishing department, but I seriously doubt they will. The powers that be knew they made a mistake by building too small of a store shortly after they opened it. As much as I hate to admit it, the big money is in clothing. :-(

with all fly shops now adays the moneys in clothes and internet sales. Its unfortinate that guys/gals who have great talent and efficiency in tying flys or building rods that they could never be profitable. I think everyday while sitting at work on how to do it and I don't think there is a way until I win that lottery. Even guiding is not what it used to be.

BTW - I agree that Bean should expand their fly department. They didn't even have the GQS waders and the guy workng there never even knew they existed. They also didn't have the wicked toughs in my size in stock. I would have bought them then and there and wound up getting simms somewhere else. I love bean products but was in a bind and needed waders that day. Nothing against the shop, just there at the wrong time to get waders.

Back