New Rod Advice

B

Buzzmaker29

Ok, I have a question for you all and I need some input. I have fished for trout my entire life, and I have done mostly ultralite spin fishing used strictly the maribou jigs that I tie. I have been moving more toward strictly flyfishing in the last two years, but my equipment knowledge is still more on the spin side. For my birthday my fiance is getting me a new fly rod and I am asking everyone's opinion as to which may be the best model for me (length and model/brand). Here is some info to assist in your opions:

1) Where do I fish?
-Mostly in streams the size of Meadow Run (or Ridley Creek for those of you out east) but I'll also fish water like the Yough fairly frequently. So I need something geared mostly toward streams and creeks, but can also handle a little bigger water.
2) Species?
-Exclusively for trout when I flyfish.
3) Size?
-Most of the trout I catch are in the 10"-22" range, but I also catch natives in the woods...so I need something that I can lay down a presentation gently with as well.
4) Price range?
-$300-400.

Any advice on lines and such are welcome. I have predominantly used weight forward floating line because I do not have as much experience with sinking tip, double taper, etc.

Thanks for any and all advice. See you all on the water.

The yough and little mountain streams are polar opposited. For the mid-stream option I'd go for a 8'6" 4 wt. It'll be a little light for the yough though. I would think a 9'5 weight would suit the yough.

As for makes and models. I have a Scott A2 9' 5wt and it is a pretty good all round rod but I don't get it out for the smaller streams such as Meadow or smaller. I have other Rods that would suit those streams better. But you could get away with it.

What you need to do is find a size range you are looking for and Cast a bunch in one day and see which action suits your stroke.

HTH,

Maurice

Maurice,

Thanks for the advice. After I wrote the post I realized that one rod would not work properly for both the Yough and Meadow. I think I may go with an 8'6" 4wt. Do you think that something a little smaller may be more appropriate for Meadow? Like maybe something around 8' and 3wt? I'd rather go a little light than too heavy. Thanks again.

I have a 9' 5wt St Croix Legend Ultra for larger water and a Winston LT 7' 3 wt for smaller streams. I also have a 7'7" Scott G2 which I can use on both. Maybe a little small for large water, but can still be used effectively. I also use the Rio Grand line in WF Floating on all. I do think that around 8" 4wt has many applications for trout in PA and if I had to limit myself to 1 rod that would be my choice.

I fish a lot of light tackle, mostly 4 wts. I have a St. Croix SCIII 8'6" 4 wt. for everyday fishing. However, in the late summer, I like to break out my 7'6" G. Loomis 4 wt. I also use this rod for medium and small streams. This rod is ideal in all most every situation. It's strong and durable. But for tiny mountain streams I built myself a 6' 2 wt.
For line, I use Cortland Rocket taper for both of my 4 wts and my 2 wt. However, I wish I had double taper for my tiny rod-- better roll cast with that whippy rod.

Buzz,

If yer gonna get two rods...one being for the yough and possibly a migrant into bass you may want a 9' in a 5 or 6 wt . Then go with a smaller rod for middle size streams. Like an 8'-8'6" 3-4 wt.

Then you've covered a nice smaller fly dry fly rod and a larger river heavier fly and nymphing rod.

An 8'4"-6" 4 wt may leave you undergunned on a big river. If you fish the yough alot...you may want to consider that.

To me it is easier to tame a longer heavier rod on a smaller water than it is to make a lion out of a pussy cat.

But if yer only gonna git one rod...you are on the right track.

Just keep in mind (we had this thread a couple months ago) I forget the topic or forum though, I may look into that. I had a lengthy response on how to choose a rod. You really want to choose a rod for the kinds of flies you plan to use and size water you plan to fish rather than based on the size fish you plan to catch. It is a factor but not the prime one. I believe we were talking about bass rods at the time. If I dig it up, I'll let ya know.

maurice

If it had to be just one rod, it would have to be a 4 wt in an 8 or 8 1/2 foot length. If it can be two, then I'd go with a 3 wt probably 7 1/2 feet long and a 9 foot 5 wt.

I like you fish a variety of water (and some of the same ones you describe). I started with an 8 foot 4 wt and added a cheap 9 foot 5/6 wt (walmart special) pretty quickly. I now have an 8 wt (cheap again) for steelhead (7 wt would be better). I want a 6 1/2 foot 2 wt for christmas which will be my ultimate brookie rod. Down the road I'll try to upgrade the two cheaper rods probably going with a 9 foot 5 wt and a 9 1/2 or 10 foot 7 wt.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the advice. I'm considering a Cabela's FT Series Rod w/ LSR reel (7' 3wt). I'm thinking of just getting the smaller rod for the streams (I typically fish these more than the Yough) then add another, bigger rod in the spring. I'm a stickler for lite tackle and precise presentations, so I think this may be my best bet...for now.

Your experience has been with spin fishing. In spin fishing, light tackle can equate to a more precise presentation, but IMHO that is not always true in fly fishing. Check most of the recommendations you received from some pretty experienced fly fisherman. Most recommended an 8-9’ and a 4-5 wt rod.

First of all, a short rod (7’) other than being easier to maneuver in tight situations has a lot more disadvantages. Mending and keeping line off the water to get a better drift is better done with a longer rod, as well as roll casting. In addition, a 3 wt is okay under ideal conditions, but add a little wind and a split shot and you will find that a 4 or 5 wt rod will be more accurate and precise. I have a 7’ 3wt rod as well as longer 4’s, 5’s, 6’s that I use for trout. I consider my 3 wt a specialty rod that I use infrequently in extremely small streams that I hike into. 90% of the time I use a 4 or 5 weight, and I fish the same type of water you do. My 6 wt is used on big water out west or on the Delaware.

One other thing, the advise that Maurice gave you about before you buy a rod, cast a bunch of rods the same day and find a match for your casting style. That is the best advice of all. If you forget everything else – just remember that.

Good luck with whatever rod you chose. Glad to have you aboard.

I'm not going to recommend this, but just to contradict some of the comments, I use my 3-weight rod on the Yough River regularly during the warmer months. Unless it is very windy or I know I will be fishing weighted buggers all day (like during Winter), I don't see a need for the heavier rod and line.

I will say this, though, if you are getting only one rod and it is going to be a 3-weight, I would go with a minimum of an 8 ft. stick, if not 8.5 or 9.

afishinado wrote:

First of all, a short rod (7’) other than being easier to maneuver in tight situations has a lot more disadvantages. Mending and keeping line off the water to get a better drift is better done with a longer rod, as well as roll casting. In addition, a 3 wt is okay under ideal conditions, but add a little wind and a split shot and you will find that a 4 or 5 wt rod will be more accurate and precise. I have a 7’ 3wt rod as well as longer 4’s, 5’s, 6’s that I use for trout. I consider my 3 wt a specialty rod that I use infrequently in extremely small streams that I hike into. 90% of the time I use a 4 or 5 weight, and I fish the same type of water you do. My 6 wt is used on big water out west or on the Delaware.

Buzz,

This too is sound advice. 7' 3 wts are not good for anything but frustration unless you are fishing drys. I have two of them and only break them out on the smallest of streams or when I plan to fish drys on calm days in low water conditions on larger criks.

If I lost all of my rods except one of these...my fishing days would be very limited.

Maurice

Gentlemen,

I'm glad you guys brought that up regarding the smaller vs. medium rod sizes. It makes sense, and as afishinado says, you guys are more accomplised than I with the flyrod...so I will follow that advice. Thanks again, and I may hit you guys up for more advice in the future regarding tapers, nymphing, etc.

Kev

Back