Looking for Rod Builder in Pgh Area

T

terrysig

Hi Gang,

I have a lightly used vintage W&M Trailmaster 7.5ft 4TMF fly rod that the varnish has started to embrittle on about half of the eye wraps. I called W&M (actually now Eagle Claw) in CO to see if they still did refurb work and effectively they said they only replace now. No real refurb work.

I'm looking to put this rod into more duty and wanted to get new epoxy on all the eyelets and I did not want to re-wrap since it is still very much intact.

Can anyone suggest a rod builder or shop that might help with this?

Big thanks,

terrysig

I don't know of any rod builders in our area.
But one place where you could likely find one is at the cabin fever show on March 1. There're always a few rodmakers there.
You could also inquire at local fly shops

Just did a search here and came up with a few builders in the general area. You can refine your search to your area.

JH

Contact Jim Hoey @ Hoeys fly shop on Perry Hwy... He has 'boo rods made by a local rod maker. I'm sure he could put you in touch.

Jim Hoey - 412-364-2850

Terry -

This is actually a fairly easy repair. Actually if you just clean the rod with water and let it dry and then apply a few "thin as you can get them" coats of spar varnish (clear not satin) with a paper towel over the entire rod and let them dry in a clean cabinet suspended by a string from one of the guides (female ferrule down) you will likely be very happy with the results and save yourself $50-100.

Go to fiberglassflyrodders.com......there are many experienced fiberglass rod builders/reapairmen there and they just love helping new people out. Log in and post.

http://www.fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/directory

Hope this helps,

Bill

Tim Zietak is a well repected boo builder in the Burgh. Here is his site with contact info:

http://tlzietakrodco.freeyellow.com/

Good luck.

Don't be surprised if new rod builders get skiddish sbout repair work. Many don't do it.

I would save the money and make the repairs myself. Just be careful cutting the old wraps off the fiberglass. I prefer varnish to epoxy (but, to each his own). There are a lot of websites to help you with how to wrap guides. I think I have a few videos you can borrow if you would like. The best thing about wrapping guides if you don’t like it cut the wrap off and start again.

Joe e

Gang,

Really appreciate the responses. I'm taking the advice I got here and visiting with a rod builder in the New Ken area (Keystone Custom Rods) to see what's best for the rod.

I really like the wraps that are on it and wanted to keep it original if possible anyway. It is definitely spar varnish now.

I'll keep you informed of what I find about Keystone.

Thanks again

terrysig

OhioOutdoorssman, I don’t know if I would say that new rod builders are skiddish about repairs :repairs are a different skill set. Rewrapping guides with old thread taken off the guides or finding old thread to match, then blending the color to look the same, finding the right guides without an inventory, scarfing a new section and having the color of the cane match, cleaning cork and matching varnish with different techniques is a challenge. These guy and girls are artists. Refinishing is different. I restored only one rods (I would do not want to do that again) for a friend of my Dad’s. I could have made 2 rods with the amount of time that it took me. Refinishing a rod little different and making a new tip section no problem restoring to original totally different (IMO).

Joe E

Back