LL Bean in KOP Mall

Swattie87

Swattie87

Anyone know if they have their wader line in store there? Want to check them out and may try to get over at lunch one day. Thanks in advance.

That's where I bought mine. They didn't have a great selection on display, I think they had 1 pair hanging out. But ask at the desk, they seemed to have what I needed in the back.

I've never been to another Bean store, heck, I don't even think I've ever laid eyes on one.

Promenade in Center Valley, just south of Allentown.

But they have more in stock,as far as waders go.Probably in all of the flyfishing category. Besides, it gets you closer to some new water, since your in the LV.

Best bet is to call ahead of time to find out what they have in stock to try on.

Toll free numbers:

K.O.P. 1-888-473-1828
Center Valley 1-888-552-9885

One thing to keep in mind - the store's stock is likely to be much diminished, compared to say, April. They rely on the free shipping thing to keep inventory down in non-peak seasons.

With da Bean's free shipping policy, and excellent return policy, it might be just a time issue to get the waders you want and the proper fit.

Shipping is free, but there is 6% state sales tax.

Gimme a call if I can be of further assistance. ;-)

If they don't have whatyou want in stock, they will order it and have it sent to your house.

Thanks HA. I'm not too concerned whether I actually purchase the waders there...I'm fine with ordering them online. I just want to check them out in person up close...just a demo pair is fine.

I'll need a new pair before temps drop this Fall. My current pair is kind of at the total loss stage. They were $100ish Cabelas house line jobs and I got approximately 1 3/4 years out of them. The first year was leak free and the last 9 months or so have been dealing with minor repairs that have now gotten out of control. My general formula is every $100 spent should buy you a year of leak free performance, the way I fish anyway. Half of me just wants to go the cheap route again, but I really like the sound of the construction of the Bean Kennebec's from what I've read...Want to get a look at them up close and see if I think the extra $100 is worth it and will get me to the 2 year barrier or beyond leak free.

I bet if your Bean waders leak within two years and they haven't been abused my brush, they will honor their full satisfaction guarantee.

JackM wrote:
I bet if your Bean waders leak within two years and they haven't been abused my brush, they will honor their full satisfaction guarantee.

Mine will definitely be abused by brush! That said, knowing Bean I bet they still would honor their guarantee. But punctures from brush (as long as they're not along a seam) are relatively easy, long lasting fixes. It's when the seams start to stretch or pull apart, or the material in general loses its capacity to hold out water that waders reach the total loss stage in my experience. Ultimately, I'm not considering Bean for their guarantee...I just think the construction of those Kennebec's looks superior for their price range, and I think they'll stand up relatively well to the kind of fishing I do (lots of hiking and climbing on small, rugged streams).

I realize I'm rough on waders, and that's part of the inherent expense for the fishing I do. I'm not looking for Bean (or anyone else) to subsidize my wader expenses forever based on a good customer service policy. If the product didn't live up to reasonable expectations, then yeah, I'd take em' up on it. But if it did, then getting a replacement for free is taking advantage of the system, and ultimately driving the initial cost of the product up for everyone. "Reasonable" is a moving target. For me, the way I treat waders, reasonable in my mind works out to $100/year.

If I spend $200 and they last about two years, I wouldn't take them up on their guarantee. I'd be in the market again for a new pair, and would probably consider them again (as I am with the $100 Cabelas house line waders now), but it would depend on the other options available at that time. If they last less than that, it would depend on how much less I guess, and how disappointed overall I was in their performance. I'd probably just ask for a prorated store credit or something similar based on how much use I got out of them as opposed to a new pair though. If they last 3 years or more...I'd BUY another pair!

I also think $100/year is reasonable to expect to pay, but if you don't take advantage of Bean's policy, then either Bean is taking advantage of you or else everyone who does take advantage of Bean is taking advantage of you. Think about it.

Fair points Jack, and I agree...I would take advantage of the guarantee, up to a certain point. For $200 waders, they way I use them, that point is approximately 2 years leak free for me...not counting obvious punctures that were my fault of course...I'd just fix those.

And when I'd say I'd rather have a prorated store credit than a new pair of waders if I did use the guarantee, that's just from the standpoint that if they didn't meet my expectations the first time, why would I want another pair? Bean makes plenty of nice stuff and I'd rather use the credit toward other items there and buy a new pair of waders elsewhere if that was the case.

Went over at lunch...They stopped carrying waders in store there sometime last year. Asked if they just had a demo pair for me to check out the construction on, but they didn't. Bummer, shoulda called...a Chik-Fil-A run salvaged the trip though!

Thanks again for the help guys. I may just buy them blind online or try to get up to Allentown...I have a trip to Tioga Co. planned in September, and I'll need them for that, but it's not an immediate need now. Will keep an eye out for any Cabelas sales on their house line waders in the meantime too.

Yeah, I have 3 pair of Hodgeman, 1 pair of Cabelas, and 3 pairs of Orvis in my past.

Those ranged from about $80 to $250. But the roughly $100 per leak free year rule has proven true on all of the above.

The Beans are in their second year. No leaks yet, but haven't reached $100/year yet, so the jury is still out.

All the "have the best" guys love Simms. I'm sure they're nice waders. But with the price, they'd better last a long time to beat the $100 per leak free year thing. If they merely meet it like the others, I'd rather go cheaper and replace more often.

Dear swattie,

Sign up for Sierra Trading Post's deal flyer and take advantage of one of their extra 25 or 30% off coupons and free shipping and I'll wager you'll be able to get 2 pairs of waders for between $ 125.00 and $ 150.00.

Alternate them and you'll get probably 3 years or 1 1/2 years free use if they last like most cheap waders.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thanks Tim...Yeah, I already get those, and that's another option I'd consider. Nothing on there right now I'm wild about, but I still got a month before I need to buy...will keep my eyes peeled.

Matt - Last day I worked for the Bean was in May, and I haven't been in the store since (Center Valley).

If you get up there, ask for Steve or George - they know their stuff. They have the Kennebec's on display, and likely have them in stock. Call first though. They're nice waders, and pretty beefy in construction - maybe a little too beefy for my tastes. I haven't used them, however, so I can't really give a recommendation on them. They're pretty heavy duty in construction, and I wouldn't hesitate to bust brush with them. Good choice if you only have one pair of waders, and need something reliable. May not be the best choice for hot weather - there's a lot of material in those things.

A couple of us that fished with you during our video making trip have picked up the new Orvis Silver Sonic convertibles. Really nice features, and a reasonable price for top quality waders. I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet, but Dan has used and abused his since Spring with no issues at all. Fox started using them, and really likes them as well. Might be worth checking into them...

Thanks HA. Yeah, durability and general tough construction are my top priorities. I don't do a ton of that kind of fishing during the hottest days of Summer, so excess heat retention is a tradeoff I'm willing to make for durability. I'll check out the Orvis SS's.

simms guides purchased them in 2005 for @300. That is @$37 per year. I did send them back into simms for new booties and pinhole repairs about 4 years ago. I will spend the money on the next pair.
I was not easy on them, 8 steelhead season(Sept-may) trout and bass the remaining. every year wash and revix and pin hole repair( easy with gortex).

Back