Landing Net

BGomes

BGomes

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new landing net and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for one that is on the smaller side and lightweight? Thanks a lot

Tight lines,

Brett

I've had a measure net for about 2 years now and love it.

Its nice when you get the fish in the net, you just add the numbers and you know the length.

Only thing is I wish it was rubber. The flys do get stuck in the netting but its not as bad as some of those regular cloth nets.

Here's some recent discussion about nets:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1053

I bought a "catch and release" net a couple years back for like $20 at Dick's. Its a softer mesh bag, not the heavy knotted nylon stuff like most nets you see.

Its not rubber, but I don't care. I'm happy to buy products to encourage good release, but the rubber ones I've seen are still awful pricey. I figure as long as I wet the net before I scoop up the fish, its not as bad.

Its also got to be better than me grabbing the squirming fish and holding it while I try to pull the hook.

In my recent searches for a new net, I stumbled across this great deal for a rubber net on basspro. Thought I'd pass it on to you guys!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10202165_175003005_175000000_175003000_175-3-5

I have a Brodin Ghost net- it is excellent but it is pricey I guess. Has the rubber net that is fish and fly hook friendly- easy to remove hooks from.

I don't use a net most of the time still.

Attachments

• Brodin Ghost.jpg
    Brodin Ghost.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 3
Forget the net , buy a good pair of forceps , maybe $6.00 , and use the money you would spend on a net to get something you NEED.

I like a net for deep water to control the fish so I can unhook them. (I'm not as good as you Osprey!) In shallow waters I can usually release them without it. I have a pricey Brodin Ghost and while I like the rubber netting for not getting my flies stuck in the web its heavy. I'd rather a teardrop shaped, lighter aluminium one, but my Brodin was free and I don't feel like spending the money for another right now when I can wait until my son buys something else and I can scarf up his cheapy $19.99 light weight one. He buys stuff customizes it and then I wait............... ;-)

I have a rubberized net bag from "The Measure Net" that I have been very pleased with.

Wetnet , thanks for the compliment , but i'm not really that good , just practical , the last net i boucht was one of those spring loaded jobs that when not in use folds up and fits in a holster , when you pull it out to use it you shake it and it springs open , it was good in my opinion , didn't get stuck on things like those multiflora rose and jagger bushes , don't get me wrong there are some beautiful nets made by Pa folks that are truly works of art. Steelheading in Erie there were a few times that i wished i had a net but i'll stick with the forceps.

There are many wonderful things about rubber nets. I have been about at wits end trying to remove a fly not only hooked to the net but also the fish. I don't know why but I almost panic. I am a stickler about quickly releasing fish. That's why I don't have many pictures of me with what I catch. Rubber net just don't grab flies, nor multi-flora(That lovely rose bush--Grrrr) The weight of them actually helps with netting fish because the basket opens up nicely. They look pretty, not to be over looked. :) and they are kind so they say to the slime layer on fish which I think I'll agree with. But they weigh allot and I wish they made brodins in a teardrop shape. I like the flatter front. My ideal net would be a deep basket teardrop, rubber net with aluminum frame.

Dear wetnet and osprey,

I received a beautiful net from my brother for Christmas. It's a Fisknat net with a rubber bag.

I don't ordinarily carry a net because face it, I don't care if the fish I catch get away.

My brother swears by the net he sent me for Christmas though. He says if you debarb your flies and net the fish and swish them around in the water 9 times out of 10 they just come off the hook and can swim away.

He lives out West and fishes a lot of two and three fly rigs and I figure if it's good enough for him it'll be good enough for me.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Checked out the site and they are pretty much what I would look for in a net. Of course they didn't mention prices. I'm thinking someone really likes you. Nice gift!

Dear wetnet,

I think my brother is just trying to pay me back for all the money he stole from my paper route collection can when we were younger? I'd collect for 3 days and never have more than $ 20.00 in the can after all was said and done. ;-)

It is a very nice net, and the price while not inexpensive is not any more than some of the traditional cloth nets from other makers like Brodin.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back