Kayak Life Vest Recommendations

M

mario66pens

Recently got a kayak for next year (end of season sale), I was wondering what PFD would be best to hinder my fishing a little as possible.

I got one from gander Mtn. Deluxe fishing life vest or something like that its called-$50. I doubt it's the best but I have no trouble with it hindering my fishing. The paddle is the biggest problem. Make sure you get a paddle clip or leash. I learned that lesson quick. Half the time I don't even wear the vest but I usually only take my kayak to the delaware water gap or local lakes. Usually just stick my small chest pack to the side or between my legs so I can get to it quick. But if I was to take it down the lehigh or something like that it would be on. Some kind of rod holder helps tremendously. The problem with kayaks is going back and forth from paddle to rod all the time because they drift all over the place in wind and moving water. Lakes it's not so much of a problem unless its real windy but the delaware it gets to be a pain.

Any of the paddling specific vests should be ok. They have thin straps on the shoulders so you have unencumbered movement for paddling.

I have been paddling for almost 20 years. I've had many over the years and I've stuck with the Cabela's inflatables for the last few years.

Back