Investing in a rod: 4 wt or 5 wt?

greenlander

greenlander

So I'm going to lay some considerable money into my primary rod. I'm happy enough with my current 5wt (Albright A-5), but I wouldn't mind having a top of the line rod as my go-to rod.

My question is -- is a 4wt or 5wt the better choice for someone who does most of their fishing for trout in PA or other northeastern waters.

I've always used a 9' 5wt, but feel like I might be better off with a 8'6" 4wt.

Whatever the case, I'll have a cheaper rod in the other size I don't choose.

If I were spending $ on a top notch rod it would be put towards a 9'5wt, but since you have one it's a toss up. I use a 9'4wt just as much as my 5 though.

A good thing to think about when making your purchase... If you nymph just as much or more than you toss dries you might be better off with a heavier rod. Same goes for the size of stream. If you spend a lot of time on big water... ie, Penns, the Delaware, Little J investing in a good 5wt wouldn't be a bad ideal

The 9 ft 5 weight is more versatile, in my opinion. That is, unless you fish a lot of places with not a lot of room. A shorter rod will take more effort to mend with. You can always get a cheaper 8 ft 4 weight later.

If I could invest in only one top of the line flyrod it would be a 9Ft. 5wt. because it is the most versatile. Not ideal for some situations but better all around.

I'd buy two quality rods and to hell with "considerable money."

Rather than one $550, and one $100 rod you'll do better with two $250 rods.

And I'd prefer a nice 8'6" 4wt for the bulk of my trouting on streams and creeks.

gfen makes a good point.... and from what I hear, the A5 actually stacks up pretty well to the big boys.

In any case, you should be able to find a nice moderate to fast 8 to 9 foot 4wt for $150 and a 5 foot gunner for 3 or 4 hundred.

IMO, a 9' 5wt is the best all around rod. 4wts just can't do what I need them to do on many streams, at least not nearly as well as the 5wt. The 5wt, however, can do all of the 4wt duties perfectly well.

Can't disagree with aforementioned advice/observations.

Perhaps a 4wt would make a great choice if you fish small to mid-sized waters or you tend to fish mostly dries. But like everything else in flyfishing it comes down to personal preference and what works for you. Kinda like what is the best band or the right pair of chinos.

you won't notice alot of difference if you buy the same length - weight rod in a high dollar rod versus the albright u already have , in fact i might go out on a limb and say u might not see any difference and be dissapointed unless the 5wts are alot different than my a-5 wt small stream rod i got

Thanks for all the opinions. Many good points. jay's point in particular hit home.

Heck, maybe I just keep the A-5 and have a 3wt and 4wt built.

Helios blanks aren't going to up and disappear, so I can always upgrade the A-5 later. :)

Honestly, if I do end up building rod from Helios blanks, I'd most like it to be a 7 or 8, I just don't see myself using it enough here in PA to justify the expense.

Back