Info on Bamboo rod

JVenezia

JVenezia

Any Bamboo people out there ever heard of a H & L Tonka Prince ?

The Horrocks-Ibbotson Tonka Prince is a nice little rod. 7’ and usually a 4DT or 5WF.

In response to your question and Rolf's post, if it is a 7' rod, hold onto it. In general, the smaller old bamboo rods are worth more that the typical 8'-9' mass produced bamboo rods. i.e. a Goodwin Granger Aristocrat 7' is worth more than the longer rods by far.

The H-I (Horrocks-Ibbotson) Tonka Prince is a sweet 7' 4 or 5 weight. The right line weight varies a little from rod to rod, and Pretty crisp action for a bamboo rod. I've seen them go for between $80-$200, depending on the condition and extras. A best buy, really, and a great introduction to cane rods. Cheap fittings, with that plastic reel seat, wormy cork, and nickel plated brass ferrule. But it gets the basics right. If you like it and want to keep it, you can customize it later on.

I'd make sure that the ferrules are on tight- the glue tends to get old. If the ferrules are making a clicking noise when you flex the rod, they're loose. Best to pull them, clean off all the old glue, fit them back on with epoxy or Pliobond. After you do that, a thread overwrap isn't a bad idea.

If you're planning on buying one or checking out the condition, the most important thing is the cane. It should be 2 equal sections, each a little more than 43" long. No nicks or splits, no splitting from the sides coming unglued. A bend or rod set is a little condition minus, but not a deal-breaker. It's surprising, but a mild rod set doesn't do that much to the casting action. It's rare to find a rod that's had some use that doesn't have a minor tip set, usually a slight downward bend. Even new ones aren't perfectly straight the way graphite or glass rods are. You don't want a twist in the tip, though. Luckily, that's rare.

I have heard a lot of good things about the tapers in the "Tonka" series from HI.

I would take it out in the back yard and try it out. If you hear the clicking that barbless describes you will want to put it away until the you can either reset the ferules or have them reset as you can damage a rod if the glue that holds them to the bamboo is loose. Also when putting it together and taking it apart, push or pull straight and NEVER twist.

Other than that though, practice with it in the back yard a bit and see of you like the feedback that a bamboo rod will give you. The feeling of a bamboo rod as it loads and unloads is what I really enjoy about casting one.

That rod sounds like it would make a dandy dry fly rod.

Enjoy,

Shock

Back