How Many Waders in Your Rotation

JackM

JackM

Staff member
I have had a single pair at a time, for the past 6 years or so, but before that, I also owned neoprenes for winter fishing. The neos started to leak and I went with layering and breathables for winter.

Presently, my waders, which are very comfy, will let water in slowly. If I spend a day on a stream that rarely has be above my mid-thigh other than to cross the stream briefly, I stay perfectly dry. But, if I wade the Yough or a lake or whatever that has me waste deep for long periods of time, I will get damp enough to make me think about new waders.

The thought occured to me that if I buy new waders, I can reserve them for deep-wading days and use my old ones for smaller water with shallow wading requirements.

Does anyone else keep multiple sets of waders in their rotation? I tried to fashion a poll to give a picture of the board's consensus.

I have two pairs of waders, for various reasons:

I wear one pair in streams and rivers known to have didymo, and the other one never gets used in those streams.

I save money by buying two pairs because even before I need a pair, I find a good sale and buy them when they are deeply discounted. I got my Simms waders at half price because the model was discontinued, and got my Orvis waders at 1/2 off and got a free pair of wading boots with them. I got 2 pairs of waders and a pair of boots for the price of 1 pair of waders. If you wait 'til you need waders, you'll pay full price for them and maybe even have to settle for a pair you really don't like.

If my waders begin to leak, I have a backup pair to use while the leaking waders are sent back for repair.

My Orvis waders can be folded down to waist high and used in the warmer weather. If you do purchase two pairs, consider buying one pair that works best in colder weather, and one for warm weather.

Jack,

Before you totally blow out your old waders, I would pick up a new pair on sale, and repair your old waders and use them as a backup.

I chose chest-high + hip waders, which is the closest to my situation. Both of the breathable, stocking foot variety. I also have 2 pairs of wading boots since the FF show in Somerset. One pair is better hikers (rubber/felt combo) and one is better waders (studded felt).

Thats not quite the whole story. I also have 2 other chest waders, which aren't really in the starting "rotation." One is simply an old pair that started leaking. The leak isn't severe, they make a fine back up pair or if I take friends who don't have waders. I also bought a pair of breathables + wading boots for my wife. She thought she might like fishing, which sounded great to me! Well, she very rarely uses them, she's just not into it. So that's now a second backup/guest pair.

chest high neoprene boot-foot (400gr thinsulate)

chest high breathables stocking-foot w/ full zipper(won't own another pair w/o a zipper)

breathable, stocking-foot hippers

neoprene wading socks

I have all situations covered that I face.

One dedicated pair, and one cheap backup/loaner pair that I don't really use.

New pair of G3 that are special occasion waders. LOL. An one 7 yr old pair of Simms Lightweight Aquaseal Specials that get abused. When it's this warm out... don't mind if they've got a few leaks in them.

I have a pair of very expensive orvis waders that spend more time in Manchester then on the water, and I have a pair cheap frog togg waters for the last three years that I've never had a problem with!

1 pair chest-high (bought at this year's Jam to replace 8 yr. old pair that began leaking beyond repair) and 1 pair hip. Both breathables. Hippers are used for small streams and long hike-ins. Chest-high is used for everything else, including cold weather.

The last two times I bought chest waders were "emergency" purchases, as both times I was at the Jam and my waders gave out. I may be imagining it, but I think I see Jonas smile when I walk into his shop :-D

peace-tony c.

I've got a set of Clouveil wading pants for Laurel Hill Creek and just broke out a new pair of Simms Rivershed II chest waders for the Yough. My Simms Lightweights' finally gave up after 10 years of service. Darn good value for 200 bucks. They haven't started to leak but the Gore-Tex material seems to be delaminating. I'll get what looks like a small water balloon on the outside of the wader on the inside of my left knee. The wader doesn't leak but I just feel like it's only a matter of time. I've washed and treated them with Revive X to no avail.

I have 2 pair.

1 is my orginal pair that I loan out to friends who are trying out fly fishing.

Number 2 is my "good pair" that I wear.

Two sets of wader and boots - one for didymo waters and one for non-didymo waters. Both are Simms waders and boots (non-felt). Always sanitize both before fishing again.

2 pairs of waders...a five year old pair of patagonias which are very warm which I use for steelheading and early spring and fall fishing. I got a pair of Simms Riversheds last year at 1/2 price when my patagonias started leaking (since repaired) which are very lightweight and use during the summer.

I also have a pair of bootfoots which are about 8 years old which I loan to the people I take out fishing who don't have their own waders.

I also don't wet wade anymore due to safety concerns, too much crap in the rivers, living and otherwise.

I have a pair of breathables for year round use but I kept my old neoprenes as a back up. I also have a very lightweight nylon pair of red ball waders I use when I have to pack them somewhere.

I rotate 2 pair of breathable chest waders (stockingfoot). I have neoprene chest waders, but I use them less each year. I think they are clumsy and uncomfortable when compared to breathables. I also have flyweight stockingfoot hip boots that I use for small streams.

My boots for my stockingfoot waders have rubber soles with cleats, not felt soles.

One pair of Cloudveil 8x waders, two pairs of Cloudveil Crystal Creek wading pants. The pants are the bomb; have a zippered fly, which is oh so nice. The reason I have two pairs of wading pants is the first pair was purchased from Sierra Trading Post, in size medium, which is all they had available at the time (but I wanted them badly enough to squeeze into them). They were just a tad too small, which made scrambling over logs and rocks difficult. Plus, they developed a hole in the right knee :) STP received a new shipment this spring, in all sizes, so I added a size large to the mix. The medium gets loaned to the brothers and the large gets worn by me. The chest waders are for steelhead and other streams that would reasonably see me wading over my waist. The wading pants work great for small streams, and for backpacking/fishing trips, where I couple them with some bug netting pants I have, which protects them from excess wear and tear of brambles and other weeds.

The two pairs of pants, being hung out to dry this past weekend..

Attachments

• IMG_2952.JPG
    IMG_2952.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 4
1 pair neoprenes for cold weather.

2 pair breathable - orvis pros guides, which have a crotch leak that I can't seem to repair. And my old simms - which I keep for backup - but have been using them the last month now.
1 pair canvas hip boots for small streams

I use a pair of Orvis Silver Labels for general fishing and a cheap pair of hodgman for small brookie streams. I used to use hip waders for the brookie streams, but I like to stay low the whole time I'm fishing and I can't even tell you how many times I'd get just a little too low and have water pour into my boots. I also use a pair of seal skins for the wild brookie streams when I have to hike or bike for any kind of distance.

Two pair here. One used for warm weather wading which serves as a backup and one for Winter/Fall or cooler temps.

I have two pair, Dan bailey and a Orvis pair, after losing around 70 lbs, both are way to big. I sure can't afford to buy another pair so these will have to do.

PaulG

Back