How many use clear rubber nets?

TLoomis

TLoomis

I was looking (NOT buying) at one of those clear rubber nets and was wondering, Why are they clear? The product description claimed "the fish wont see it so you can net them faster"....idk about that.

Whats the point of them and how many of you guys use em?

I use a mesh/fabric. It was the first and olny net I've ever bought. I don't need a new net, so I haven't bought one.

When I do, I'll probably get a rubber bagged net, and the clear bag is nice.......but I am cheap too, so.

A net is one of those things I don't like to spend a ton of money on, like a reel.
However, magnetic net releases are worth every penny.

The rubber mesh becomes almost invisible when in the water. I think it's more for taking a photo without having to remove the fish from the water. I've been using one for 2 yrs. You'll never get your flies caught in the net anymore which is a plus and they are designed to be less damaging to the fish.

Stop looking an grab one. BassPro has 2 models for less than 39 bucks (I think). FYI, they are much bigger than your average net.

MKern wrote:
I use a mesh/fabric. It was the first and olny net I've ever bought. I don't need a new net, so I haven't bought one.

When I do, I'll probably get a rubber bagged net, and the clear bag is nice.......but I am cheap too, so.

A net is one of those things I don't like to spend a ton of money on, like a reel.
However, magnetic net releases are worth every penny.

Yeah I need to invest in one of those magnets STAT. I hate walking then being stopped by my net on a tree 6 feet behind me...

pcray1231 wrote:
Neither, I'm netless....

I forgot to add that option
sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
The rubber mesh becomes almost invisible when in the water. I think it's more for taking a photo without having to remove the fish from the water. I've been using one for 2 yrs. You'll never get your flies caught in the net anymore which is a plus and they are designed to be less damaging to the fish.

Stop looking an grab one. BassPro has 2 models for less than 39 bucks (I think). FYI, they are much bigger than your average net.

I never thought of that. Maybe I will get one and give my dad my net

NB,

Changed my photo to show you one of the net w/ fish in it. It's not invisible but does become less offensive when submerged. I checked and the Frabil wooden net is $29.95 at Bass Pro. The same net is at least $10 more at Cabelas. They also have one in a metal frame for a few buck less but that one fills with water according to reviews.

MK,
You think you're thrify, I've been lugging a net around for years on a clip for a dog chain. I want to get a magnetic release for the net but can't justify spending 20-25 bucks for one. I think that I'm going to cave and get one. My buddy has had one for years and I've never seen him struggle to get his net like I do.

I didn't answer the poll because my net is mesh that has been dipped in black rubber, a rubberized net bag. I was able to buy just a replacement net bag and put it on the wood frame I already had. Link

The only negative on the Frabill versus an equivalent Brodin Ghost is the weight. If you are hanging it off the back of a vest they pull down quite a bit. I have to admit that may be just a pet peeve of mine. Of course a Brodin is 3x Frabill in price. Either net is going to function almost identically and aside from weight I see little difference. It is unusual for me to have less than 2 flies on at any given time and these rubber bags are a godsend versus net bags.

For magnetic release . . . .

http://www.allenflyfishing.com/accessories1.html

There are other sub-$10 options out there for magnetic releases.

If you get a magnetic release, make sure the net is actually attached with a rope or something. Seems obvious, but I neglected to do it and lost one.

I can't, and probably won't ever be able to bring myself to spend over $20 on a net. I use a $12 soft mesh cheapie when I require a net.

Can't go wrong with this wooden net on sale for $9.99 at Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20554&id=0036699318923a&navCount=1&podId=0036699&parentId=cat20554&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

I don't use either. I was out yesterday and had no problems landing fish up to around 18 inches with no net. Of course that was on 3x. One of the few places I'd prefer to carry a net would be the upper Delaware, where the fish are feisty and the tippets are long and thin.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:You'll never get your flies caught in the net anymore....

I agree. I've got a Frabill and love it. It is a bigger net as has been mentioned, but I've gotten used to it. As for the clear rubber, I have no idea why it's clear. But I find it hard to believe it has much to do with making it easier to net the fish. By the time the fish is close to the net, he's already hooked and has little chance of making a great escape. Perhaps it does have more to do with photography than anything.

Mesh fabric for me, I've had it for a few years. When it's time to replace the net, I'll consider a Brodin or other clear rubber model instead of mesh. For now, it works just fine.

I cut young willows streamside and weave a net if needed..

All kidding aside, I often have a net stuffed in my rucksack, but I can't remember the last time I used it.. Perhaps last summer on an 18" brown that I hooked in a four foot wide hole and I was afraid I was going to lose, since there was no room to play him.

i have a mesh net and it's been frustrating me alot lately. i've been almost exclusively fishing a two-nymph rig for the past month and if i net a fish then i know i'm gonna be spending the next ten minutes trying to untangle my line and free my hooks from the net. its gotten to the point where i find myself losing fish at my feet because i'm hesitant to go for the net.

i think i'll be picking up a rubber in the near future.

mystillwater wrote:
i have a mesh net and it's been frustrating me alot lately. i've been almost exclusively fishing a two-nymph rig for the past month and if i net a fish then i know i'm gonna be spending the next ten minutes trying to untangle my line and free my hooks from the net. its gotten to the point where i find myself losing fish at my feet because i'm hesitant to go for the net.

i think i'll be picking up a rubber in the near future.

Use barbless hooks. It saves fish and fingers anyway. It takes a second to smash the barb with hemos when you tie a fly on.

Second what Jay said.

I ran into the same problem as you a few years ago. I personally like to see the fish (admire) for a few seconds before the release. This is why I net most fish (not to mention it's a lot quicker to get them in and released).

I mash down the barbs and don't have to worry.

Also, if you forget before you hook a fish. Net it anyway and get tangled. release the fish and then, even though you are hooked in you net, mash down the barb and it will slide out.

MKern wrote
Also, if you forget before you hook a fish. Net it anyway and get tangled. release the fish and then, even though you are hooked in you net, mash down the barb and it will slide out.

Good tip, thanks!

I don't use a net, with one exception -- fishing the Yough River.

The water is often deep and swift. Positioning oneself for landing a fish without a net can be challenging and near impossible at times. Plus, the fish tend to be bigger there. The net I use is a throwback -- wooden handle with a cotton cord bag. Works fine. easier to detangle than those finer mesh bags. I've never seen a study that cord or nylon injures fish.... only talk.

Back