How about rod length?

D

DJBerg

So as I evolve in my fishing, I've come to definitly started to favor certain rods over other rods, mainly by length, some what by action.

For me personally, it seems to be this-

Small water/fish- 3wt 8'3" mystic m-series sweet delicate though still a bit long(will soon be relieved some what by a 7-7'6" 3 or 4wt bamboo, one piece).

Small water, bigger fish(bass, walleye, ect.)- 5wt 8'6" black eagle, by eagle claw(sweet rod for $ 20!!!).

Big creek/river- either my frankinstein built 10' 8wt switch rod or 12' 7/8wt spey, home built. Drifting, mending, n roll cast are far easier with the longer rods, I have even run my 8wt single hand line on the 12' rod n loved it!

Lake(large lake fish in the deep)- 12' spey or 15' 10/11 st croix avid spey.

Also have found out that I enjoy for the most part a medium/medium fast rod.

How about you?

Big water (Delaware, Lehigh. Little J) Sage One 9ft 5wt
Medium water (Po, Spring, L.L.) Winston Passport 9ft 4wt This rod is amazing for the price.
Small Water (Brookie Streams) Orvis Superfine 7'6 4wt

Now those rods can me interchangeable in certain conditions or moods I am in. I also really favor my Echo Shadow Pe 10'6 3wt for nymphing.

Bigger trout water(by PA standards) like Penns, Little J, Spring, Fishing Creek:

If the water is moving: Sage RP 9' 5wt
If the water is down: Sage LL 9' 5wt
Tricos: Sage RP 8'6" 4wt

Moderate Sized Streams like Clarks, LeTort, Falling Spring:

Sage Fiberglass 7'6" 4wt

Brookie Streams: Lamiglas 6' 5wt (actually a 8' 4 piece rod I built without the butt sections)

Smallmouth and some saltwater: Since the Susky died I have not fished for them for awhile but I used a Sage RP 9' 8wt and St. Croix Legend Ultra 9' 8wt

Steelhead: Forecast or rainshadow 11' Switch rod.

In my opinion the Sage rods from the late 80's through mid 90's were some of the best ever made with the RP being what I think is the best all around rod I have ever cast. I got some rods when I was young and have never cast another rod that I liked more. I still pick them up when I find them just to have some in stock (Currently I have three Sage RP 9' 5 wts)

Right now I'm loving my 8'6" black eagle by eagle claw

I use only two rods in PA and northern Maryland. A Scott, 10 foot, 4 wt and an 8 foot, 2 wt Orvis Superfine.

Dale

I use a 9' 5 wght on our largest streams.
Cut down a little to an 8'6" 4 wght for medium size streams.
And a 7'9" 2 wght for small streams

I have two different rods that I use for big water. They are both 9' 6 weights, a G. Loomis GL3 and a Sage VT 2. For medium sized streams I have several that really stand out, a Sage SLT 8'6" 4 weight, a Diamondback 9' 4 weight VSR and an older Scott V2 8'6" 5 weight. For small streams I also have several favorites that I fish quite a bit. A Sage 7' 4 weight TXL, a Sage 7' 3 weight Fli and a G. Loomis 6'6" 3 weight GL3. I do have several other rods that are for more specialized purposes. My favorite nymph rod is my 10' 5 weight Cortland "Brook". I also have two rods that I use mainly for Trico's, a St Criox Avid 7'6" 2 weight and a Diamondback "Diamondglass" 7'6" 3 weight. I feel very fortunate to have such a nice selection to choose from and use them as much as possible. I know they say beware of the man with one or two flyrods, but I get bored fishing the same rod all the time. I enjoy fishing with a number of rods. I adjust my timing to whatever rod I'm using and have at it. :)

For big water one of my IMX 9 foot rods, that would be places like Penns, the 'D', Pine. For everything else, my 4 wt. 7'6" Loomis Trilogy. I'd like a shorter rod, but haven't found what I want yet.

Csoult,

Love this rod. I use a Battenkill BBS I reel with the rod and feel it is well balanced. Started to fish it early last year. Casts like a dream and since I used light tippets, the full flex action of the rod protects the tippet. Even though this is a light rod, I've taken several 20 + inch fish with it. Also, I use a three weight line.

Dale

My sage LL 8'9" 3wt is my go to rod for all but the biggest and smallest waters. Over all I think a 9' is the most efficient and useful length. There's a reason there are so many of them. I liked what Tom McGuane said, " a fly rod had better have a very good reason for being shorter than eight feet or longer than nine".

6'6" For Brookies, 8'6" and 9' for every other situation. Maybe a 10' for nymphing the spring creeks.

7' 4wt for brookies
8'6" 5wt for trout
9' 7wt for bones/bass/steel
10'6" 7wt for float tubing ponds
9' 9wt & 11wt for Stripers
13' 9wt spey for stripers
14' 9wt spey for atlantic salmon

The smallest small stream rod I fish with is a 4' 4wt and up to a 6'10" 5wt.

Joe E

Back