Help me help a beginner.

C

charliepff

Hi everyone,

I have been fishing for a while and I started out by reading forums, asking shops for advice, and most of all, asking knowledgeable anglers on the streams. I have always found someone that could help. I have finally talked my fishing friend into fly fishing. We fish everything from small native streams, to the Lehigh and Susky for smallmouth. I know there is not a one fits all rod, reel, and such, but, I am looking for something close that does not cost a fortune. I was wondering if you all had some ideas. Maybe for $250 and under.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie, one rod for both those rivers is asking a lot. In my experience the smallies generally run small in the Lehigh and considerably larger in the Susky.

For the Lehigh I mainly use a 9 ft 5 weight. For the Susky I mainly use a 10 ft 7 weight, which is also my primary rod for steelhead. I suppose if I had to compromise a 9.5 ft 6 weight would probably work fairly well, though those hogs in the Suskie would put quite a bend in that rod.

As for brands it would depend on the kind of rod action you prefer, everyone is different. A Temple Fork Pro rod is a good bang for your buck, though you may prefer something faster. Go try a bunch and see what's right for you.

Back