Greys streamflex reel

jayL

jayL

I got a new 10' 4wt greys streamflex, but none of the reels I own will balance it.

What are you using with this rod, if you have it? Any cheap reel suggestions?

I'm assuming that because of the length, there's some added weight. Do you know the actual weight of the rod?

Before knowing any of this, try Allen... got a sweet deal going on Facebook right now. I got a 9/10 alpha and it's a bit on the heavy side so maybe it will be heavy enough to balance out your rod for you.

Don't know if you can do the math... but maybe take a reel that you know the weight of and add some shot or weight to see where the balance point is, then look for a reel in that weight range. Once again... just a thought.

What is cheap to you? Lamson Konic 1.5 might work for ya.

Ross Evo's = flawless silk

http://www.garyborger.com/2010/09/26/rod-balance/

skibo5 wrote:
http://www.garyborger.com/2010/09/26/rod-balance/

I am not a big believer in balancing rods, but this one is way tip heavy. I plan to fish it mostly short line nymphing, so I don't want to exert the energy to keep it level.

Interesting article, though.

Paul,

Cheap is in the $50-$80 ballpark. I don't see much use for nice reels in stream trout fishing. I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Ryan,

I have an alpha 5-6. I'll see how it fits.

Have you looked at a Medalist?

No, really.. Try a 1494. If its not enough, go with the RC spool or a 1494 1/2 instead.

The 1494 feels great on my 9' 3wt, the 1495 does well for a 10' 5wt.

gfen wrote:
Have you looked at a Medalist?

No, really.. Try a 1494. If its not enough, go with the RC spool or a 1494 1/2 instead.

The 1494 feels great on my 9' 3wt, the 1495 does well for a 10' 5wt.

Yes. I was hoping you'd chime in. My 4wt line is currently on an American 1492. It balances the rod as well as any of my other reels (since it's the same weight at half the size). I was just going to go with that, but it looks so damn silly on a 10' rod. I'll check the 1494.

Remember you can always open it up and fill the inside with lead if you need a little extra weight, too.

I don't know how you keep that balanced, though. One of the ones I bought did have some very old bird shot stuffed inside with some sort of weird decayed strng or something, though.

jay i bet ur looking at 6 oz to make er stand up a little in the top , muskrat nymph has the 10' 5wt and has a ross evolution on it and said it has been bullet proof but it is obviously not a cheap reel by any means , did u get the rod for 299 ? was a few deals out there for 239 i saw , i got the orvis access 10' 5wt and put a orvis large arbor i had on it , it does not make the tip stand up and not balance it either but to balance or make it butt heavy will take a considerable amount of weight which u will be hold out streight armed all day shortling , by the way the stream flex is incredible for the money and so is the access !

They were pretty available at $179 until a week ago. The supplies seem to be drying up. I had a Orvis BLA III on the 10' 4wt. Did not need it that big to hold line and backing, but it balanced it better than the BLA II.

Yep. Got it for $179. Shipping was free when you buy $20 in tungsten beads @ $3 a pack. I considered it an early christmas present to myself.

jdaddy wrote:
They were pretty available at $179 until a week ago. The supplies seem to be drying up. I had a Orvis BLA III on the 10' 4wt. Did not need it that big to hold line and backing, but it balanced it better than the BLA II.

Hell, that's only 4.2 oz. My medalist is 4.2 oz. Maybe I will just fish it tip heavy once to see what happens. I do have an allen alpha that I could use, but I have to take a 6wt line off of it. I will try that too.

the access weighs 2-3/4 oz and i have what jdad has on his a BLA III and love the way it feels , it is still tip heavy when u hold it level infront of you but when fishing - no fatige in the forearm at all and just feels great and if a trout sneezes within 3 feet of the fly i can feel it !!!

Hell, that's only 4.2 oz. My medalist is 4.2 oz. Maybe I will just fish it tip heavy once to see what happens. I do have an allen alpha that I could use, but I have to take a 6wt line off of it. I will try that too.

It's 4.4 but who's counting? It was not optimum for the rod, but it did fish well on it. Never had a fatigue issue and I would spend all day hi-sticking. And the gold BLA looks good on the Greys . . . lol.

jdaddy wrote:

It's 4.4 but who's counting? It was not optimum for the rod, but it did fish well on it. Never had a fatigue issue and I would spend all day hi-sticking. And the gold BLA looks good on the Greys . . . lol.

Yeah, I figure it will fish fine with the medalist I have in that case. Maybe the allen.

There's always self adhesive lead golf tape, or lead core line that can be applied to the spool prior to adding the backing...

The leftover lead tape (used by golfers to weight clubs) makes really good tying lead when cut in thin strips and wrapped on the hook.

Jay,

Get an extra spool for your Allen Alpha 5/6.

Gfen's abel would work well, those things weigh a ton and his is damaged so the price should be right!

He's right, it DOES balance my 10' 5wt admirably, and will hold enough backing to let a tuna do a couple of good runs on that 4wt, if you take it tuna fishing.

List price is $1200, so I'll sell it to ya for $500 even. Go ahead, make my day. :)

Please?

Back