Good macro digital camera?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

I've decided to start taking some pictures of insects along the streams I fish. Can anyone recommend a good digital camera with macro capabity?

Hi, T. Joe!
I don't know about others, here, but I've been using digital cameras for many years, now and have tried 4-5 brands. I, too, like to take a lot of Macro styled, close up photos of insects to help me duplicate colors, etc. when tying.
After trying several brands of cameras out there, I've settled on different models and styles of the "Olympus" line of digitals. Namely, any of the "Camedia" series of Olympus cameras.
I've had 2 of the 5 Olympus cameras I own, for over 5 years now and the older ones are as reliable and work as well, as my newer ones do!
The two I use the most for Macro pictures, are my Olympus Camedia-model #C-3040-ZOOM (7mg-pixels)which is a larger bodied digital, I like for tripod use, then my Olympus Camedia #D-520-ZOOM,(3mg.pixels), which is a smaller, take a long, "fishing camera".
NEXT, (if I win the lottery), I'd love to get an "SLR" style digital camera, but truthfully, after borrowing and using a few now, their "macro" taking capabilities are no better than the cameras, that I currently own!
Again, it's only MY experience and opinions, but for the bucks, the photo programs provided with the them, plus the quality of pictures................. the Olympus Camedia models are hard to beat!

I purchased a Olympus stylus 770 for $340 at Circut City. That was the cheapest I could find with out going the Ebay route.

The 770 is water proof to 33 feet. It is shock proof to 5 feet. Did I mention it was water proof? Seriously, it is working great so far. The camera is small with a big display.

I'll second acristickid on the Stylus 770. It easily fits in a shirt/vest pocket and takes decent pics (check out the 2007 Jam page for any pics I may have taken). I think I paid about the same at Sam's.

Hank

I have an older Pentax version of the W20. It's hit or miss taking macro pictures. I'm looking for a model with manual zoom and manual focus. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Fuji, probably S700. Thanks for the inputs. BTW the Pentax is great for most streamside shots and it has gone "swimming" with me on several occasions.

Back