go to rod

R

rubby

:) whats your goto rod & reel,mine is a winston bIIx 8ft.4wt.,with a galvan reel

I have to say a Winston B3x 8'6" 4 weight rod with a Hatch reel.

Ron

Helios 7'6" 3wt with vintage CFO I

My go to rod was a 50s vintage bamboo rod that I rebuilt. I broke last fall. Still haven't gotten around to fixing it. Before that, it was another bamboo rod. That one started live in 1934 ad an 8 or 8.5 foot H-I. Can't remember exact length. I completely rebuilt it as well and 4 or 5 weight line worked well on it. Broke that one a few years ago and haven't fixed it yet, either. Thanks for reminding me. :-(

How about I state my all purpose plastic rod. St. Croix Imperial, 8 ft, 5/6 weight. Now watch me break that one, too. Also have a few lighter (and more expensive) rods which I haven't used yet. Need to get reels for them.

Orvis Access 904/4 With Access reel II

Orvis Clearwater II 7.53 with Access reel II

Depends on river width and tree obstructions.

The all-purpose utility rod is my Fenwick FF75 with a Medalst 1494AK. If I'm goin' on a family trip or something and have to be aware of how much gear I take, that's the rod and reel. I know I can get by on most waters with it.

9' 4wt Sage Approach with a Ross 1.5 evolution.

So much nicer than cabelas stick paired with my konic.

Custom 8' 4wt St Croix SCIV SCII with a Battenkill mid-arbor( before they were relabeled access ).

10' 2 weight Sage ESN with a Lamson Lightspeed

590 z-axis w/konic- Caught everything from bluegills to a steelhead on it.

Diamondback carbonite 7'6" 4/5 wt with an Orvis Battenkill BBS II reel. Unless the water is heavy and i want to fish alot of weight or its windy or I am on a bigger river then I use a Scott SAS 9' 5 wt and the same reel.

Black on black
9ft 5wt Sage One paired with a Lamson Guru

Custom St. Croix Avid 9' 5 wt.

Dan already knows what I'm gonna say but, for everyone else.
10'- 4wt 4 piece custom made Allen myth. Reel is an Allen trout 5/7

Depends on the stream and species:

Trout:
9'3" 5wt spring creek w/ battenkill mid arbor lll
9'6" 8wt rivermaster or presentation w/ same reel
7'6 4wt brook trout w/ battenkill 3/4 disc
My fav new toy is a 6' 6 wt Fenwick 1pc custom w/ 5/6 battenkill disc drag or fullflex midge 7' 5wt w/ the same reel.

For smallies:
8'6 lamiglas 6/7wt with battenkill mid arbor lll

It's hard to pick one but my favorite all time rod is the spring creek

St croix imperial, 9ft-5w. I bought it over the winter and it has quickly become my rod of choice. I have others, but i love the imperial.

All time go too cortland brook 7 ft 3 wt with tfo reel best little rod ever. I have landed some monster trout on this little guy.

small streams - Sage GFL 7.5' 5 wt w/ Old Orvis battenkill.
Big streams - Z axis 590 with Velocity

I'm not sure I have a go to rod. I suppose if I were made to choose, St Croix Legend Elite 9' 5 weight with a Galvan Open Back #4. If it doesn't catch fish, it's still purdy.

Back