Flying with gear

jayL

jayL

All,

I have never flown with my fishing gear before, but am doing so this friday. The trip has one layover each way, so it will be a grand total of four flights.

I have two rods that I want to take: 8.5' 2pc 5wt and a 9' 2pc 5wt, and I have a case that can store both of them (relatively) safely. I didn't plan on flying with my rods any time soon, so I opted for the cheaper 2pc ones.

I will be checking a suitcase, and carrying on a small gear bag and be wearing a backpack.

What are your suggestions for the rods? Should I check them, or attempt to ditch a carry on and take them with me? The case is almost 4' long, so it might be a problematic carry on.

Shipping them is less desirable, but a possibility.

Thanks in advance.

When my hobby was photography, it was always encouraged to ship your equipment ahead of time.

If its feasable, that's your answer. The chances of theft and damage are significantly lessened, and if they do, then insurance buys you new 4 piece rods.

1st contact the airline and ask if they consider the 4' long case as oversized. some airline will allow you take it as carry-on some won't. i saw some people with long cases carry on at delta last summer. as for the rest of the gear, reels flies vest, boots etc. try and take it as carry one. you have to expect they will loose your bag and it may not show up for several days. they lost my bag both on the way out and then on the way back. luckily it was only lost for 12 hrs. and this was after they confirmed it was taken off the plane at the airport i was at, denver. also remember you can not take large volumes of liquid on with you, except what you buy ar the airport. also weight your bags, if they are over weight you will be charged. depending on the airline oversized, over weight or extra bags my cost you and extra $100 for each overage. as an alternative, you can ship youe extra stuff to where you'll be. i did this for about $20 and did not have to worry about the hassles and i was able to track the delivery on-line.

Jay- if it was me I would mail them.
(and quick since you leave soon)

Takes the hassle out of the whole equation. Plus you dont have to drag those long rod tubes around the airports.

Sounds like you might be at your limits for carry-ons anyway.

But that's just me.

This was just discussed recently here.
I've never had a problem carrying on a long rod tube - plus a carryon bag - with northwest airline.
A few other guys mentioned that southwest airline was also pretty accomodating to fisherman.
Other airlines are pretty iffy though. good luck

All,

Thanks for the input. I was able to ship the rods USPS express with full insurance for $30.

depending on what type of aircraft you will be flying on, boeing or airbus the overhead bins are about 54 inches long, the smaller commuter aircraft are obviously smaller so your rod case might not fit in the overhead bin

Back