Favorite Streamer Rod

F

frankm205

You want to chuck 6 inch articulated streamers in the Deleware what is your rod of choice and why?

Thankfully a friend talked me out of a 6weight. I went with a 7wt Scott, A3. But two years ago Scott had a 8wt 8ft bass rod. It felt like a 5 wt in your hands and cast huge flies with ease. I wish I bought one of those.

On my A3 I used a Lamson reel and Kelly Galloups streamer line. This is the line. I have to look and see if I got the 200 or 250 grain.

Overall I am happy with the rig. The rod seems a little soft loading that heavy line.

Check out the Redington Predator in a 6 or 7 weight. Best rods for chucking big stuff at an amazing price point with a great warranty.

I have an 8wt Sage Launch that throws bass bugs and bonefish flies with ease. Much, Much easier to cast larger streamers with than a 6wt Cortland I own. I never used a 7wt.

St. Croix Bank Robbers, I cast one a few weeks ago and it was sweeeet. 7wt is what I got to try.

A 6wt medium action for the largest streamers.

For medium and small streamers (up to about 4"), a 5wt rocket action.

Don't currently have a streamer rod, but when I do buy one it's going to be the St.Croix Bank Robber. Awesome rod, and anything Kelly Galloup is usually pretty sweet.

njk3395 wrote:
Don't currently have a streamer rod, but when I do buy one it's going to be the St.Croix Bank Robber. Awesome rod, and anything Kelly Galloup is usually pretty sweet.

I don't have a streamer rod either but I have been considering that rod too.

I have tooled around with the bank robber and like it, but honestly, I don't think there are enough opportunities for 'bank robbing' in PA streams. The MT rivers are a different animal, so I am skeptical that any rods designed for them are best for PA, where there seems to be lots more casting and swinging to go with the bank pounding.

This is especially true for streams that aren't floatable.

Oh. Wow. "Bank robber" = stream bank.

I thought it was just another dumb Galloup name, but that makes perfect sense.

If you can find one the G. Loomis 9' 6 weight GL3 works great for streamers.

I don't own one but I'd go Sage TCX in a 9 ft 5 wt if I was going to get an East Coast streamer/nymphing rod.

I really think it depends on where you are located. With me being close to the Alleghany and Clarion Rivers which can be floated the Bank Robber seems like an ideal rod at a decent price point. Once again it just depends on your situation.

gfen wrote:

Oh. Wow. "Bank robber" = stream bank.

I thought it was just another dumb Galloup name, but that makes perfect sense.

I laugh at you. I laugh at you hard.

jdaddy wrote:

To be fair, I expected it to be a middle school slang term for the lady bits, it is a Kelly Galloup associated name after all.

gfen wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

To be fair, I expected it to be a middle school slang term for the lady bits, it is a Kelly Galloup associated name after all.

You mean like a yellow butt sex dungeoned monkey nut?

A good streamer rod is a fast action,Are nymph rods also?

I believe the going thing out west now is more medium action rods for chucking them at banks. But then again, fast action even ten years ago = medium action now.

But sinking lines are in too. That's where the whole deal loses me.

I never drift fished-lol so I am lost about lobbing but the John Bailey school of wade,streamer fishing promoted the fastest action rods.Fighting the wind probably not that big of problem in the east.

pete41 wrote:
I never drift fished-lol so I am lost about lobbing but the John Bailey school of wade,streamer fishing promoted the fastest action rods.Fighting the wind probably not that big of problem in the east.

I am with you. I wade fish streamers in PA, and use a super fast action rod with a floating line. In my experience, it's easily the best rig for the situations I usually encounter in PA.

Back