Favorite Gear

A

ALFCFishing

I love a couple of the rods I've built. Some have over 30 hours "wrapped" up in them.

I've even sold rods and built duplicates because I liked them so much. And I've once even bought one of my rods from a shop because I hated to see it go to someone else.

My Richardson chest box probably ranks as my favorite.

My boo rod gives it a run for its money, though I think half of that is sentiment rather than utility.

Reels without disc drags, rods that flex to the bejesus.

Please make friends with your Asian exporters to provide low cost, 7-8.5' glass rods and machine click-pawl reels. I won't buy them, but I'll talk a good game.

The switch from glass to graphite was the most noted improvement in equipment in my experience.
Since I was living in the West at the time,the difference between glass and graphite 1 in the 9 foot 8wt.s I used for big river fishing was so huge I wondered why I ever loved my Scientific Anglers glass beast.lol
So the nod for most treasured would have to go to a Fenwick 9 ft. 8wt.rod even though a Sage graphite 2 same length replaced it a decade later.

Didn't mean to imply those heavy glass beasts were useless,Gfen.Sheer coincidence.lol

pete41 wrote:
Didn't mean to imply those heavy glass beasts were useless,Gfen.Sheer coincidence.lol

-shrug- The more you downplay, the easier for me to find them used.

In reading like minded folks, it seems that there's a real distaste to the first of the glass rods out there. Seems that people tried to emulate bamboo more than playing off of glasses own personality, and the fishing suffered for it.

I own one modern glass design, an 7'9" 3/4. I don't think its really any heavier, certainly not noticable, than the 8' graphite rod its supposed to replace. Alot of people, who aren't me, seem to think we're in a real golden age of fiberglass now with a few small makers creating the blanks that power the scene.

My loops may be more open with glass than plastic, but fish feel better on fiberglass, period. As someone who fishes often and catches less, the feel of it is what sold me.

I'd fish boo, but regardless of what people say, there's an air of fragile that I can't get past.

As someone who fishes often and catches less, the feel of it is what sold me.
lol
It was only the heavier weights of even the best glass at the time that felt loggy-Some one gave me an 8ft 8wt. Orvis Battenkill-used it a few times and traded.That was a monster even compared to heavy glass.
My mistake-by heavy I was referencing line wt. not rod wt.

jdaddy-
my sentiment exactly.

I'm somewhat new here and didn't want to show my pessimist side, but to me this looks like a stab at free marketing research

dreamsofstreams wrote:
jdaddy-
my sentiment exactly.
I'm somewhat new here and didn't want to show my pessimist side, but to me this looks like a stab at free marketing research

Yeah, probably but so what? Its a discussion starter.

You are all considered experts. That’s due to the fact that you are a member of one of the most popular fly fishing sites on the internet, and by far the most popular bamboo and fiberglass rod sites. “So what” you say??? Well… it sort of goes like this… since you are considered experts, then the legal boys claim that your opinions via the Forum constitute “expert opinion” on a public media. And, when you start hurling negatives at various businesses and products, that’s just like saying things like that in the newspaper. And, just like the newspaper, the Forum can be sued. Now the suit goes against the Forum… not Joe “Loud Mouth”… and if the Forum gets sued, then they may have to end up suing Joe “Loud Mouth” to recover damages. Unfortunately the later scenario generally doesn’t work so well, so the Forum has to monitor things to make sure that the Joe “Loud Mouths” don’t get the Forum in trouble. Are you with me so far??? This is why we have these SOBs known as Moderators and Administrators. It’s their job (amongst others) to make sure that folks don’t say things on the Forum that could get us sued, and thus possibly shut down. Now none of us want the Forum shut down, do we? So if you’re feeling particularly testy and want to fire off a real zinger on the Forum… please take a minute to think about it. And if you don’t think about it, please don’t get irate when things get shut down… or the only other option is to include your name, telephone number, and address… so they can sue you… directly.
From another forum-their so what
Fortunately no experts here.

pete41 wrote:
You are all considered experts. That’s due to the fact that you are a member of one of the most popular fly fishing sites on the internet, and by far the most popular bamboo and fiberglass rod sites. “So what” you say??? Well… it sort of goes like this… since you are considered experts, then the legal boys claim that your opinions via the Forum constitute “expert opinion” on a public media. And, when you start hurling negatives at various businesses and products, that’s just like saying things like that in the newspaper. And, just like the newspaper, the Forum can be sued. Now the suit goes against the Forum… not Joe “Loud Mouth”… and if the Forum gets sued, then they may have to end up suing Joe “Loud Mouth” to recover damages. Unfortunately the later scenario generally doesn’t work so well, so the Forum has to monitor things to make sure that the Joe “Loud Mouths” don’t get the Forum in trouble. Are you with me so far??? This is why we have these SOBs known as Moderators and Administrators. It’s their job (amongst others) to make sure that folks don’t say things on the Forum that could get us sued, and thus possibly shut down. Now none of us want the Forum shut down, do we? So if you’re feeling particularly testy and want to fire off a real zinger on the Forum… please take a minute to think about it. And if you don’t think about it, please don’t get irate when things get shut down… or the only other option is to include your name, telephone number, and address… so they can sue you… directly.

First the poster you are quoting is either a moron or you have taken the post out of context. Likely both. But what is the purpose of your post?

jdaddy wrote:
First the poster you are quoting is either a moron or you have taken the post out of context. Likely both. But what is the purpose of your post?

To intrigue me! Don't insult the elderly they're a drain the social security system and are likely also assisting insurance rates to skyrocket, they have enough problems as it is with out Internet bullies like you.

Tell us more, Pete. Have a cup of tea, and tell us more...

gfen, expert.

(no, really, context of said post, i'm interested)
(also isn't this your chance to tell us about spin fishing?)
(jdaddy likes winston rods, to fulfill OP requirements)

pete41 wrote:

TL:DRTL:DR

I was joking-Gfen said market research was okay,so what?-there is the so what.
I happened to read on another forum where market researchers can be a problem.
www.classicflyrodforum.com
Like It Or Not....

pete41 wrote:
I think I am younger than you fellows.

Just because we bicker like old ladies is no reason to try and pass yourself off as young, sir.

Notice, I called you "sir," that's a sign of respect as befitting your advanced age and use of trifocals. Do they make quadfocals? Do you need them...yet?

;-)

To get back on the subject one of my favorites is my Richardson Chestbox. Two others are a Bamboo flyrod and my 1971 production nearly mint condition Phillipson "Swamp Fox" DF76 fiberglass flyrod.

Scott G2 - 7'7", 4 wt, 4 piece and zip front chest waders

Back