does anyone use a personal pontoon

mooney4

mooney4

Hi Iv'e been thingking about buying a small blow up pontoon to fish local ponds and small lakes. Does anyone know, do they need to be registered or can you just use a launch permit?

Hi Rich - If you're talking about an actual pontoon boat (ie one with oars), you need a launch permit if it has no motor, and is launched from a PFBC ramp.

If you have a motor (gas or electric), you need to register it.

If you're talking about a float tube (round or u-shape, no oars), I don't think you need anything but a life jacket.

Dear mooney,

What HA said is correct. There is a difference between float tubes/belly boats, and inflatable pontoon boats.

Float tubes you can just blow them up and put them in the water keeping mind of whether or not a PFD is required for the water you are fishing.

Some County and municipal parks have requirements that differ from the PA Fish Commission requirements so you'll have to pay attention to them as well. I typically just wear a life jacket and go fishing, I've never had any trouble anywhere I've gone.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Yup its a blow up pontoon single seater with oars and no electric motor. I guess just the launch permit will get me by for what I want to do. Im just looking to use it at my new house up the mountains in the local ponds. They are on Delaware State forest ground and in Promised Land State park. I think it will be a while before I get up the nerve to try it on the upper Delaware, WB.

Thanks for the information guys!!

Dear mooney,

With the pontoon boat if you use Fish Commission accesses or boat launches you will need the launch permit.

Legally, it must be displayed and clearly visible from both sides of you boat.

While I sold my pontoon boat before I made it 100 % legal I figured the easiest way to do that is to laminate the launch permit and zip-tie it to the frame of your boat.

If you figure out a better way to do it please post your solution because I'm sure others would be interested in hearing how you did it.

Enjoy your boat!

Regards,

If your getting a pontoon boat, look into the sea eagle 285. your able to stand up in it. really nice on longer floats and its build really well.

Tim - When you buy a launch permit, you get two stickers about the size of a PennDot inspection sticker. They're self adhesive. You have to buy new ones every year, but you can buy them two years in advance.

I just stuck one on each side of the frame on the riser where the oar locks mount. When I got checked by a WCO, he had no problem where they were mounted.

There's more stuff that you need though. You have to have an audible warning device (I use a whistle) and a light if you float after dark. And don't forget your PFD - I believe a Type III is required.

I have an electric motor, but never used it on my boat. The required registration sticker and numbers must be displayed on either side, just like a "regular" boat. I made a lexan plate for each side, to be zip tied to the frame, but never registered my boat.

though I don't own a cat, a litter box container top cut into 2 small plates and drilled at top corners make a great backing for your launch stickers.

Attachments

• 6-8-12 003.jpg
    6-8-12 003.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 6-8-12 004.jpg
    6-8-12 004.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
Dear sandfly,

That's a good idea and you could probably find something similar laying around the house to use. Mounting them on some sort of plate or backing makes sense to me.

I figured if I stuck them on the side of the pontoon through the process of inflating and deflating the thing they would get damaged and fall off or tear. As it turns out I never put mine on the boat, they were transfered to the new owner of the pontoon.

Regards,

New to this forum and this is what I am using.
ODC 816 with homemade rear aluminum rear deck/motor mount.
Running a 2HP Honda gas outboard.

You can see where I placed my registration using some Lexan on the rear deck sides.

8427e910.jpg

Hi Dave - Welcome to the forum.

When you post a pic from Photobucket, the IMG has to be small case letters....

8427e910.jpg

Thanks for the welcome
In the process of changing out my pontoons to the larger 1018 toons.
Found some new unused in original box... Assuming they will fit my 816 frame.

New larger pontoons installed
4d04e308.jpg

Next shows the difference in pontoon size
491abae6.jpg

If you buy on Rich stay away from the cheap ones that have the nylon cover with air bladders inside because the float as high or cut threw the water like the newer pvc coated ones

Back