Digital Camera memory card?

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I got a new point and shoot waterproof camera for christmas. I'm now looking for a memory card for it. What's a good amount of memory to keep a decent amount of photo's on the camera? I usually transfer photo's onto my computer every few trips so I don't need a large amount of memory, but don't want to be deleting photo's mid stream to take new pics. I can get a 2-4GB card on Ebay pretty cheap. Is that enough? I also know that you big time photographers out there like different types of cards. Should I even bother looking at a better card with a typical point and shoot camera?

Ryan

I have a 1gb for mine and it holds 45 minutes of video and like 800 pictures.

That's plenty if you ask me. But I wouldn't mind a 4gb.

4gb sd hc card

for you tech guys out there... what's the difference between a regular sd card and a sd hc card? How, if at all, will this effect my pics? Also, what are the different class ratings? This is a class 4?

SD HC cards are deemed "high capacity" Personally I think its marketing for "use this in your camcorder" Just check the manual of your camera. There may be a limit as to how big a card your camera can use. We had one that would not take anything bigger than a 2GB card. I buy my cards from Tiger Direct or ebay. For a point and shoot you should be able t get a good deal on a 1 or 2 GB card.

File size is dependent on resolution.

For most point and shoot cameras, 2-4 GB is beyond adequate.

I have a Nikon Coolpix S630 for my point and shoot, and with a 4gb memory card I get 650 or 700 pictures on the highest resolution setting. It makes 8x10 prints beautifully.

Ryan,

That 4 Gig card will be more than adequate for your camera, and the price is right for like $13. Go for it!

I got a cheap 4 gig sdhc card for my new olympus camera that I got for Christmas and I have no regrets. Its enough memory that I have used the video setting on the camera several times and I never have to worry.

Thanks guys... I'll probably jump on that soon.

You know what would be neat?????

If everyone at the JAM this year tried to take some video's and we compiled all the clips into a movie of the weekend. Even if it's a few 3-5 minute clips from each of the streams we fished, I'm sure it would make a pretty sweet video!

I just put a 4G card in my bank box. It has EVERY fishing pic I have taken since 2005 on it!

That said, video, especially if you shoot in the highest quality mode, eats up card space quickly. I carry a backup 2G card in my camera's case.

Kev

I can attest to video eating up memory, if you record in hd a 2 gig card is only at most ten minutes but you can get 600-800 pics at 8-10 megapixels with just a 2 gig card.

More than 4 GB is overkill for me, I've shot entire weddings on a 4 GB card, that's over 900 pictures on one occassion.

May I add that most HC cards are also high speed, meaning they record the data at a faster rate, which is vital for high speed cameras.

Most point and shoots a 2gig card is plenty if you remember to unload them after a day or two or heavy action.

Another major MAJOR MAAAAJOOOORRR thing to know if capacity is based on how you have your camera set, what resolution size you are taking the pictures and what quality you are taking them. Most cameras are set at almost the biggest size and medium quality from factory.

I use a 4 gig on a digital slr at max specs and never capped it, but i unload after each day of pics.

gemiller,

Does your average point and shoot have the ability to benefit from the HC card, or is it a feature of higher end cameras?

jayL, it depends on the point and shoot and once again on the settings, for most typical picture takers it won't be worth the monetary difference, where it comes in to play is taking fast shots in succession, where the camera needs to record the data and take the next picture at the same time or very fast in a row.

the hc card won't add any picture quality either.

Most high end cameras use a completely different card, a CF (Compact Flash) which are much larger and have faster write speeds than SD cards. SD cards are the most typical cards used in most cameras.

CF cards are roughly 1.5" x 1.5" x .3" thick. I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in the SD cards other than the newer ones are faster and hold more gigs. Not a big deal with a typical camera though.

check out www.buy.com for good priced reliable electronic supplies. I got 2 2gig cards shipped for about $20 over a year ago. Memory prices are dipping as newer card capacity and speeds come out.
I tend to question look-alike cards from ebay that say they are certain capacities on the outside but the insides don't add up.

2 gigs should be plenty for a point and shoot especially if you plan on unloading after a few trips.

Also, www.newegg.com.

I believe their warehouse is in jersey. All of my orders come insanely fast.

Ryan, if you haven't jumped yet, 4 Gig would be the best buy just because the price point suggests going higher than you need. Unless you use the SD card as a photo storage location, you'll never get to even 2 Gigs on a 12 MP camera as that is about 350-400 shots. The higher speed (class) cards are useful as noted for writing speed. This helps the camera "recover" for the next shot quicker. I would think it would also effect video recording.

HOWEVER, make sure your computer's card reader can read higher than 2 Gig in SD. Mine cannot (6+ years old), so I opted for the 2 Gig, which I had laying around. They sell inexpensive readers for the USB, called "dongles" sometimes, that would solve the old computer reader issue for me. Some of the SD cards come packaged with the USB reader for just a few dollars more. NewEgg is the place for this kind of thing.

got my 4gb memory card in the mail yesterday for under $15. Thanks for all the help guys! Hope this website can handle all my new pics!

JackM wrote:

HOWEVER, make sure your computer's card reader can read higher than 2 Gig in SD.

If not you can get a newer USB card reader for about 5 bucks like my kid did. Now I just borrow his...

I tried mine out and it works just fine. The owners manual was just about useless so I just winged it and it works.

Back