deciding on a 9' 6wt

turkey

turkey

I have been hunting for a good deal on a versatile, larger trout/bass rod (9' 6wt) for a couple weeks now and my budget has me narrowed down to 2 models...a Sage FLi or a Winston Vapor.

Does anyone have any experience with one or both of these rods? I was ready to pull the trigger but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks.

Since both are about 300.00+ each, have you considered the St Croix legend ultra?
I have the 9 ft 6 wt and think its the best buy for the money. I don't regret buying it.
With that said, I took advantage of the discounted z-axis and will be using the st croix as my travel rod and a loaner.
The Z-axis is better- smoother and lighter- than the st croix. I wanted the z two years ago, but settled for a discounted Legend ultra. It's a great rod (although I had problems with the tip-top grooving), but not as good as the Z.

turkey,
If you are hell bent on the rods you mentioned, the Fli is pretty sweet. My buddy Josh has 2 of them and Sage really doesn't make a bad rod. As nymphingmaniac said, the Legend Ultra is pretty nice. I currently have 2 of them and the mentioned z-axis. The 'z' may be a sweeter rod but we also have to factor in price. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better bang for the buck than a Legend Ultra or Legend Elite. Don't rule out the St Croix Avid. It's a nice medium action rod at a decent price.

I'd ask how the action of the Vapor compares to the Fli or the Legend Ultra. What type of rod do you favor... med, med/fast, fast or uber fast? Jdaddy may be the Winston guru and I believe the handle on his tap is a Vapor (if that tells you anything). The Fli and Ultra are in the med/fast to fast range.

Vapor on Ebay $289
http://cgi.ebay.com/WINSTON-VAPOR-FLY-ROD-9FT-6WT-4PC-CASE-NEW-/260562087370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caab5edca

Legend Ultra on Ebay $255
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-St-Croix-Legend-Ultra-U906-4-Fly-Fishing-Rod-/160570166182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2562ba4ba6

Couldn't find a Fli on sale but you should be able to get a new one for $225 or a lightly used one for $125-160

Good luck, try them before buying if you can and let us know whay you end up getting.

Thanks for the quick replies. I hadn't ruled out St. Croix. The reason I narrowed it down to these 2 is because I found them both available at really good prices. I had a Sage VT2 9'6" 6wt in my sights. I waited a day too long and it sold. I like a little slower action for my dedicated trout rods as I seldom fish water so big that I need a lot of line out...as a result the slower rods load a little easier. For a 6wt I think I would benefit from a faster action stick...bigger water, bigger flies, etc. I came to the conclusion that I "needed" a 6wt after taking my 7wt to lake Erie for big smallies, largemouth, pike, etc...but in reality I ended up fishing a tiny popper for bluegill. I'm just looking for some versatility I guess.

good luck with the auction. If you can pick it up for 220.00 or less, its a no-brainer.
I like that they took a pic of the end cap with the serial number. You know you could probably call SAGE with that info and check it out ahead of time.

Being a Sage fan I would pick the Fli. Faster rod at a decent price. I have one in 7' 3wt.

Email the seller and ask for the serial #. I've done that with any of the Sage rods I've picked up off of ebay. You can then call Sage warranty / repair dept to see if it's ever been fixed under warranty. I think you'll get that Fli for less than $200. Good luck with it.

i have to ask are u turkey from hunting pa

i have to ask are u turkey from hunting pa?

accountant moved over to fisheriel lol

HuntingPA is awesome. The largest gathering a trailer trash on the internet I know of. Gotta stop shooting all them does. Stupid Gary Alt. The stocking truck is late I paid good money for my fish. The list goes on. Oh yeah my brothers nephews wifes sister saw a mountain lion bigfeet. Pure awesomeness!

stevehalupka wrote:
i have to ask are u turkey from hunting pa?

accountant moved over to fisheriel lol

Nope. I didn't know there was huntingPA. I don't hunt much. Just Turkey and Pheasant so far...and that's partly because I want feathers. I used to check fisherie every so often but there's too many "you shoulda been here yesterday, we got 600 fresh steelies so chromed out you needed sun glasses." reports.

ok, I was hoping that was your answer...

fisherie is just as bad anymore... I haven't seen a thread posted there worth reading ince, well, all the die-hard's got banned.

come'on that site is great
where else can you learn the difference between 6lb and 8lb mono?

turkey-ish
wanna go carp slaying with that 6wt?
i'll bring my boombox... and the tape i made that is a continuous loop of the opening riff from Psychopathy Red

Other then 2lbs what is the difference between 6 and 8 lb mono?

sometimes the answers are just that easy... or some people are just that dumb

Ramcatt wrote:
come'on that site is great
where else can you learn the difference between 6lb and 8lb mono?

turkey-ish
wanna go carp slaying with that 6wt?
i'll bring my boombox... and the tape i made that is a continuous loop of the opening riff from Psychopathy Red
What's up Ramcatt. You know, I still haven't heard much of the "new" Slayer stuff. Ive liked what Ive heard though. I was on a big grindcore kick for awhile and I missed some stuff.

I'll go Carp hunting. So far this year, if I have my rod with me, I wont see any. If I leave it at home, they'll be tailing 15' in front of me. You get any more massive Pike on those foot long flies?

turkey wrote:
What's up Ramcatt. You know, I still haven't heard much of the "new" Slayer stuff. Ive liked what Ive heard though. I was on a big grindcore kick for awhile and I missed some stuff.

Considering I never sent you the Burroughs disc in return (been a bit busy being unhealthy), this can be added. You let me know.

Hell yeah gfen. That would be really cool. No rush.

Back