Decent wading boots

mute

mute

Looking to pick up a new pair of boots for this year. Anyone have any recommendations that are priced fairly? Looking for something in the $50-$150 range. Although i see alot of simms orvis and patagonia products that look like heaven, i dont think i get into the wilderness enough to be pumping walking with $350+ shoes.

what type of fishing? Care about rubber vs. felt, cleats vs. uncleated? I've been lookin too, thinkin about getting a rubber pair in addition to my 2 felt pairs.

$40 range: I've had a few Denier pairs in my life, one from Cabelas and another from Pro-Line, I think. They were decent. Comfortable, if a bit warm in summer, but they don't last forever. Cabelas has a Willow Creek model for $40 that look interesting to me, but haven't tried them. Felt only on those.

$50-$70 - I've had Cabelas ultralights, which were the most comfortable I've ever worn but they only lasted 1 season of heavy fishing. $60 now, and they now come in lug soles as well as felt. Frogg Toggs has 2 models that fit in this price range as well that look interesting, though I've never tried them. Both are felt only, have to pay significantly more for rubber.

$70-$80 - I have a Cabelas guidewear pair that I'm happy with, cleated felt. Chota design. Think they just came out with a cleated rubber version in the last month or so. Hodgeman Bear Creeks, Frogg Togg Anuras, and Korkers Cross Currents peaked my interest recently. The Anuras are the rubber soled version of one of the cheaper models. Chota used to have a really nice boot in this price range as well, my favorite I ever got, but I can't find em now....

I've never considered anything higher than this price range, so you're on your own if you go higher. Looks like you gotta go $100 and higher for any of the new "sticky" rubbers, like Vibram....

Chotas are reasonable prices and really comfortable. I think they have a modle that has studded felt for $90. I've had mine for 5 years and the leather is just starting to crack.

So I bought the cabelas studded flet ones for $60 2 weeks ago.
They are heavey and slightly tough to get on but I like the scuff guards at the toe and heel.

What size are you? I forgot I sent back a pair to Cloudveil until the other day when I was cleaning out my junk drawer and found the recipt. They just sent me a new pair after I recently contacted them 6 months later. They are "Cloudveil 8x" felt wading boots. Came with a pack of screw in studs. The felt sole came unglued from the first set after 5 months of hard use.

I was going to keep them for extras since I got a pair of Simms recently, but I might let them go if you're interested. Size 10 I think.

Pat,

Those chotas you liked have been redesigned, from what I can tell. I had them too. The closest you're going to find are the cabela's branded chota boots.

I love Chota's boots. Jay, the Abram's Creek is the model of Chota that I had and loved. Still sell em, just not at Cabelas. Not sure where to find them. Those things lasted me a good 3 years of heavy use, were very comfortable, easy on, easy off. Chota's website has em for $69.95. Felt only, though. The cleated felt version of the same boot is the Citico Creek, MSRP of $89.95. And they don't make this boot with rubber at all.

http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21_23&osCsid=262e8fe81c16984218d9a1b8b47bc20c

the Cabelas guide wear pair I have now are Chota made, basically a cheapened version of the STL. I also have a "wet wading" Chota pair I picked up for $20 (yes $20!!!) at Somerset last year. Don't think they sell them any longer, but its basically the Caney Fork model with different soles, they are a mix of felt and rubber and do well on brookie trips. So far, so good, but haven't put in enough use to comment on durability. The newer Caney Forks are $150 and come with regular old rubber soles, no felt.

Their propriety "sticky" rubber is called RockLoc. The cheap pair are the Rocky Rivers, and the expensive STL like pair are the RockLoc model.

Bam, they might work. Im more of a size 11, but they might fit. Are you planning on going out fishing any time soon? If i remember correctly i believe you're relatively close to me. Maybe we could meet up and i could slip a foot in?

Another vote for chota.

pcray...

"$50-$70 - I've had Cabelas ultralights, which were the most comfortable I've ever worn but they only lasted 1 season of heavy fishing. $60 now, and they now come in lug soles as well as felt. Frogg Toggs has 2 models that fit in this price range as well that look interesting, though I've never tried them. Both are felt only, have to pay significantly more for rubber."

the machine has a pair of cabela ultralight... 4 years now
do alternate with another pair at times but they are the most comfy and mine have held up great.. I walk out of oak orchard with 50 pound spiderwire and hooks tangled all around them and just scizzor it off..

great boot

Back