chest packs

• Thread starter FishingCreekEmerger
  • Start date
FishingCreekEmerger

FishingCreekEmerger

Hey guys I live about 40 yards from my most frequented stream. Its the kind of place where I can walk down my driveway and hook 4-5 quickies while waiting for dinner. I usually keep a 4 wt ready to go and I grab my vest and walk out the door. My main fishing vest is a pretty nice patagonia that I keep loaded with everything I usually may need. The vest is great but I don't need to take 2500 flies to the stream with me. I was thinking about getting one of the chest packs that everyone seems to make these days. I get guide pricing from most of the main companies but I still like to shop around for the best model for my needs instead of price. I have it narrowed to 2 of the smaller fishponds or 2 of Orvis' models. I am predominantly a Sage buy but I don't like either of their models.

Do any of you guys use a chest pack? How do you like them? Should I consider not going with the smaller models incase I use love it and want to use it everywhere? All input is appreciated.

I like the Fishpond ones a lot. They make one that can be attached to the Piney Creek backpack if you ever decide to do a long hiking trip.

Also, very jealous of your houses location that close to a trout stream.

Lol thanks! The location shouldn't make you jealous. The 30k trout across the street in the hatchery is where the jealousy is......I am leading fishpond.

I have the Fish Pond Wind walker and I love it. Got it on sale for $60 PM me if you would like the link to the site I got it off of.

Gear choices are completely subjective per the angler.

One pack that several of my buddies use is the William & Joesph Confluence chest pack.

the allen chest pack is the best one i've had....

I use a white river chest pack. Light weight and affordable. I cant justify paying over $100 for a fishpond chesty when my $50 White River works just the same. I will never wear a vest again.

Come last summer, I learned the beauty of the lanyard. Couple spools of tippet, nippers, hemo and a small assortment of flies. Grab, throw over neck, fish. On my lunch break from work, I usually get about 45 minutes to fish. Having that lanyard to just pop over the neck is pretty handy.

Depending on just how light you want to travel, maybe that's the way to go?

I thought about a lanyard but I keep imaging it swinging around every time I bend down.

Gfen was your pic taken at Leslie Run on the Lehigh in Rockport?

My homemade lanyard has a shirt clip at the center to keep the lanyard from getting in the way when I bend down. Works great. It holds tippet, forceps, nippers, and floatant. If I think I'll need shot, I just put a small pack in my pocket. Add a box of flies and I'm good to go.

peace-tony c.

Have been using the lanyard for 3-4 years, works for me.

I reuse an Aquafina quart bottle and keep in the small of back in my waders. Or you could use a waterbottle holder on your belt.

Also keep and sandwich (for longer outings) in there too wrapped in a waxpaper, then tinfoil, then ziplock bag. Most times it does'nt get smooshed. Sometimes stow my wading jacket in my waders too when it might rain. Usually, not all these things at the same time.

Attachments

• myprivateaccessonspruce.jpg
    myprivateaccessonspruce.jpg
    971.8 KB · Views: 2
If you haven't been in the text message or email distribution lists, you'll notice yet another nonchalant reminder that paul has secret access on spruce. :lol:

I have some aligator clips, but odn't use them. Generally, I don't get a face full of lanyard too often, as I usually squat down anyways.

I made mine with 10g speaker wire, swivels from Sprawlmart, and wood beads from same. If you hate it, you're not out much.

I have the Fish Pond Arroyo which I like a lot. It holds two fly boxes and all the other junk I need. I am going to be making a lanyard in the near future as I often times don't need all the stuff I have stuffed in my chest pack.

jayL wrote:
If you haven't been in the text message or email distribution lists, you'll notice yet another nonchalant reminder that paul has secret access on spruce. :lol:

I'm not a member of LRSA, so I'm not on the distro list....

Check out the chest pack from LLBean, $40
If you can't fit it in there you don't need it!

IMO, I would go with a one tray chest box (Richardson, FlyteDeck or Downs) or Landyard and hang a box or two around your neck.

Joe E

I think I will choose the Fishpond Tumbleweed. 59.00 I'll have to see if I can get guide pricing :)

Back