Camera

R

Rickb326

After dropping my cell phone into the water a week ago, I am now trying to find a waterproof camera. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have the Olympus 6000 and think it's great. Water proof and shock proof and a resonable price........

I have a Pentax Optio w20 that worked well for years. I just upgraded to a Pentax Optio WG-2. I'm planning on taking it out on the steam tomorrow for the first time. A friend has the Olympus and it seems comparable. I think you'll be happy with either. My Digital SLR is a Nikon and I considered their waterproof model but could not justify the extra cost.

I don't own the Olympus but 2 of my friends do and they are very good cameras. I would recommend sticking with a known camera company as you will get more quality photos and video due to the higher quality lens.

Many other waterproof cameras such as the GoPro skimp on the lens quality and it definitely shows in your photos and videos.

I'll add that the macro mode of the WG2 Pentax is awesome. Should be great for shooting bugs.

Olympus Stylus SW. I carry one, along with a Nikon d5000. The Olympus is a worst case scenario back up.

I have a Canon D10. Very happy with it. It's advantage over the Olympus's I've toyed with is time. It powers up, snaps a picture, saves, and powers down much quicker. Picture quality is similar. A touch better out of the water, IMO. Perhaps a touch worse under water.

Disadvantage was cost and shape. It was more expensive than the others, and it's a weird round egg shape that doesn't fit well in pockets.

That said, Olympus has newer models I haven't toyed with. Canon has a new model too. And a billion other companies have entered the waterproof camera fray, I'm not up on all of them. Nikon has always been quality, and they have a waterproof now too.

+1 on the Pentax.

I also have a WR (Weather Resistant) Pentax K-5 IIs DSLR that I have used in some seriously foul weather.

Pentax really knows how to build rugged Cameras.

Love mine.

Back