Cabelas Anniversary Glass Rod

Weible1

Weible1

What do you guys think of this rod for small streams. I have been reading about fiberglass rods, and this one might be one I just have to pick up.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Rods%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105573780/Cabelas-50th-Anniversary-Custom-Glass-Rods/1167634.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fly-fishing-fly-fishing-rods%2F_%2FN-1102568%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105573780%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105573780

You search around long enough and you can find a nice vintage fiberglass rod that will fit your needs and probably a lot cheaper than $100.

Talk to bikerfish, shakey, or even gfen if he ever shows up again.

IMO for $100 it would be worth a try if you like slower action rods, which I do. The 6"6" 4 weight would be great for small streams. I need another rod like I need a hole in the head though. If you take the plunge let us know how you like it. WTT

stroll over to the glass board and search for reviews, quite a few folks are fishing them. I've never cast one so I'm no help at all!
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2011/06/cabelas-cgr-series-review.html

Well I just ordered the 7' 4/5wt.... I couldn't help myself after reading the review. I was torn between the 6'6" 4wt, and the 7' 4/5wt but I figured with the 7' 4/5wt I could have the best of both worlds. I will be sure to my own little rod review when I get it. Thanks guys for the input, and especially biker and beer for leading me to some great sites.

If you could pick one out in person so you could pick a decent handle... it would probably be a sweet rod.

The first "decent" fly rod I had was a good glass rod... it was an SA Systems 2 (I think) 7'6" for 5wt line.

It's alright i'm not too worried about the cork quality. From what the review said they seem to be pretty decent anyways in the lower weights. I had a $25 gift card to put towards it anyways so it was pretty dang cheap. Plus I will back home for spring break in a week and a half. Just in time for the rod to show up at me house, so I can take it for a spin around CV.

Don't worry you did alright. I have the 7 foot 4/5. Super nice rod cork quality seems fine to me. Rod cast great too.

ryguyfi wrote:
You search around long enough and you can find a nice vintage fiberglass rod that will fit your needs and probably a lot cheaper than $100.

won't find a better fiberglass rod for the price with 25 years of garuntee.

they just came off sale.

sucks to be the guy who just paid full price.

gfen, owns two.

I got the 7' 4/5wt for Xmas and I'm really happy with the quality at that price point. I have fished it exclusively since then and love this rod. Sure it has it's hiccups but it is a fun rod to fish.

I'm looking forward to trying it out. I figured it was a pretty hard deal to beat. Never even thought about the waranty until right now. Figured it would be a decent small to even medium sized stream rod.

Since gfen has 2, I had to start catching up, so I nabbed the 6'6" - 4wt, and a coupla browns on Ridley humored me/it with stone flies.

hp
les

lestrout wrote:
Since gfen has 2, I had to start catching up, so I nabbed the 6'6" - 4wt, and a coupla browns on Ridley humored me/it with stone flies.

hp
les

Here's a picture from today. CGR 7' 4/5wt.

Sorry, having a problem posting pics.

I picked up a 7' 4/5 when they were on sale for $74.99. Got a chance to use it for the first time yesterday and really liked the feel of it.

What the heck I had no idea they were even cheaper before... well that sucks for me lol. Anyways I can't wait to try it this weekend on the conewago ff only section!

oh darn,i saw this too late. congratulations on what appears to be a pretty good rod at a pretty good price!

I AGREE THAT one could find a vintage rod for cheap,BUT,then you also often run into repairs etc,so this seems really worth it!

if they had a longer four weight i would get one.

Well I am pretty pissed because I broke my graphite 8'6" 4wt this afternoon.... Now I am on the market for a new 4wt I guess

Back