Buyers Remorse Superfine

ThePharmacist

ThePharmacist

I rekindled my fly fishing flame after taking about 10 years off to go to school and start a career.

About a month ago I was in the market for a mid-level 4wt rod. My local fly shop was limited on rods at the time and said they would have a much larger selection in the coming weeks. I was anxious to hit the stream ASAP so I proceeded to convince myself that I will eventually want a high end rod. I figured I'd do myself a favor and go directly to the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum 8" 4wt.

It is quite the rod, however I have an extreme sense of guilt each time I walk by the case. I'd be much happier with a rod in the $200 range and about $375 in store credit to use for flies and other supplies.

I did use this rod 1 time. I took it for a walk in the snow for a few hours. I am going to go back to my shop this week with my tail between my legs and see if they will work with me. I'm quite embarrassed. It will be just over 1 month since I purchased.

By chance are any of you fine folks are in the market for such a rod?

Anyone think I am crazy or have any advice?

I do that all the time. Once I get it in my head I spent to much its best to get rid of it and move on. Especially if after a month you are still feeling bad.

If you can afford it, keep it. Its nice to have fine equipment.

If you've caused a financial misstep, and its going to cause a problem to keep it, try nd work out a deal.

come clean....did your significant other give you crap?.....

jeff

that's a pricey rod,especially if it was not on sale.if you still feel wrong about it after a month,then by all means see if the fly shop will work with you.don't go around feeling guilty!!fishing is supposed to be fun.

Welcom to fly fishing. You won't be able to recoup your money so enjoy your superfine and chalk it up to a learning experience. At least you bought a pricey rod and not a overpriced small line holder (reel).

Talk to the shop and see what you can work out, if they're unwilling to take it back, you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of it. That's a very nice fly rod, no doubt somebody will buy it but you're unlikely to get the full price paid. I cast a 7ft 4 Superfine, but opted for a Sage. It was not cheap either but I love that rod.

Out of curiosity, are you unhappy with how the rod performs or are you primarily concerned with the cost?

Good luck.

Buy the best you can. You do not need to buy the most expensive rod to have a great fly rod; however, after fly fishing for over a decade now, I will say that it is easy to appreciate a premium fly rod. I have several rods in the $75-300 range. A few years ago my father got a steal on a $950 outfit that was used only for lawn casting and he bought it for $400 as my college graduation present. I have only used the rod a handful of times as it is a 3wt and I usually use a 4 or 5 wt; however, the few times I have used it for fishing dries, it has been awesome. An expensive rod is not necessary, but once you have it there are few reasons to get rid of it. If you absolutely need the money then sell. As long as the rod fits your casting and fishing style, you will be glad to have it down the road. My goal is to upgrade my rods over the next decade or so. Fly-fishing can be expensive if one so chooses. It is not necessary, but neither is spending $30+ a week on cigarettes or alcohol. There is nothing wrong with having a "guilty pleasure" so long as you can afford to do so.

Thanks for the comments. My remorse is not brought on by my significant other. My wife knows I am very thrifty and supports me when I actually blow some money on something. It's also not a matter of my satisfaction with the rod. I'm going to take a ride to my shop tomorrow on my day off from work and plead my case and whatever happens will be fine.

I'll let you all know the results!

Orvis has a very good return policy, especially if you have the receipt. You should have a "no questions asked" return experience on the rod. If the shop you got it at isn't a full-on Orvis dealer, and gives you any crap, then deal directly with Orvis.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=111

That said, get over it you cheap SOB :) , you're going to kick yourself for not keeping the rod. Now that you know the return policy, go out, fish it, prove to yourself that its not worth all that money you spent before you return it. You mentioned you are getting back into FF, there are many stages of ability with this sport, you reach a plateau, stay there for a while, then move up in ability and knowledge and it happens all over again, in the rut trying to figure out how to get to that next level. Sometimes, different equipment, might I say better=more expensive equipment * helps you move up or reach that next level you've waited so long to reach. keep this in mind, as well, before you take that trip back to the fly shop with the rod all packed up.

*(not always but in your case maybe the superfine will perfectly match your preference in rod action and performance)

Well my return was a success. The shop was 100% willing to work with me. I was refunded the full amount in store credit. I picked up a mid-level rod, a bunch of flies, a few odds and ends, and I still have enough credit for the next thing I "need". I am a happy camper!!!

Say what you will about some Orvis stuff (and I do sometimes), their customer service is great. I have never had a problem returning things, getting things repaired or replaced, or in general, them just making things right.

I'm glad all worked out for you. Enjoy your new rod and all the other stuff you bought.

Excellent glad the shop worked with you and you got something that you're happier with. So what did you end up with?

Good customer service, I stand corrected.

I went with an Orvis Clearwater II 8.5 ft 4wt.

not a bad starter rod at all it was actually my first rod and i still take it out sometime...you will be happy with what ya bought but your rod you took back with the slow action and full flex. It doesn't get any better than that for me! Glad to see you got what you wanted and that you are happy. TIGHT LINES!

Yeah yeah yeah....Bummer to let go of the superior rod. Not ready for it yet though.

That's a quality setup and it sounds as though you're much happier about it. Even though the Superfine may be superior in quality, it may not be the right fit for you now. When you are ready though, you know where to go back to. Sounds like the shop took great care of you.

Glad to hear it worked out.

Your casting stroke could very easily evolve so that the superfine would be intolerable. You couldn't pay me to fish with one... maybe you'll be the same.

Until you're sure you know what you want, it's good to go cheap.

by jayL on 2010/4/8 15:55:54

Your casting stroke could very easily evolve so that the superfine would be intolerable. You couldn't pay me to fish with one... maybe you'll be the same.

Until you're sure you know what you want, it's good to go cheap.

I'd take money to fish with my superfine anyday :lol:

Back